Old 12-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Emil Beinroth

Default Emerging virtual/editor installs nano - why?

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 04:15:59PM +0100, Alexander Skwar wrote:
> Emil Beinroth <emilbeinroth@gmx.net> wrote:
[snip]
> > I would say you don't. Just emerge the package you want (as you already
> > mentioned).
>
> Okay. And why am I able to preselect the mta the way I
> demonstrated?

Because virtual/mta is not a real package. It's just some sort of alias
that can be change through files in a profile.

The new-style virtuals OTOH are real packages that RDEPEND upon the
packages that provide the functionality. They are not aliases that can
be changed through files in your profile.

Cheers, Emil

--
Emil Beinroth
83059 Kolbermoor | Germany

"You believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards, witches, demons,
sticks turning into snakes, food falling from the sky, people walking on water,
and all sorts of magical, absurd and primitive stories, and you say that we are
the ones that need help?"
-- Dan Barker, Losing Faith in Faith