Old 12-07-2007, 08:49 AM
Alexander Skwar

Default Emerging virtual/editor installs nano - why?

Hello.

I installed stage-3 2007.0 and am now trying to configure
it to my liking. For example, I dislike nano and would like
to use vim instead. vim (among other editors) provides
virtual/editor. So I thought, that I could add

virtual/editor app-editors/vim

to /etc/portage/profile/virtuals. BUT:

winnb000488 portage # cat /etc/portage/profile/virtuals
virtual/editor app-editors/vim
winnb000488 portage # emerge -vpt virtual/editor

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild N ] virtual/editor-0 0 kB
[ebuild N ] app-editors/nano-2.0.6 USE="-debug -justify -minimal ncurses nls -slang spell unicode" 1,285 kB

Total: 2 packages (2 new), Size of downloads: 1,285 kB

Why's that? Why is nano being installed to satisfy the
virtual/editor need?

When I add

virtual/mta mail-mta/esmtp

to the virtuals file and try to emerge virtual/mta, esmtp
should be installed:

winnb000488 portage # echo virtual/mta mail-mta/esmtp >> profile/virtuals
winnb000488 portage # emerge -vpt virtual/mta

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild N ] mail-mta/esmtp-0.5.0-r1 USE="-mailwrapper" 123 kB
[ebuild N ] net-libs/libesmtp-1.0.4 USE="-debug ssl" 344 kB

Total: 2 packages (2 new), Size of downloads: 467 kB

Without that line in the virtuals file, ssmtp is going to be
installed:

winnb000488 portage # grep -v esmtp profile/virtuals > /tmp/dummy ; cat /tmp/dummy > profile/virtuals ; rm /tmp/dummy
winnb000488 portage # cat profile/virtuals
virtual/editor app-editors/vim
winnb000488 portage # emerge -vpt virtual/mta

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild N ] mail-mta/ssmtp-2.61-r2 USE="-ipv6 -mailwrapper -md5sum ssl" 53 kB
[ebuild N ] net-mail/mailbase-1 USE="pam" 0 kB

Total: 2 packages (2 new), Size of downloads: 53 kB

So, what am I doing wrong with regards to virtual/editor? I know
that I could just install app-editors/vim and be done, but I'd
like to know why emerge virtual/editor doesn't work the way I expect
it to work (or why my expectation is wrong).

Alexander

Old 12-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Emil Beinroth

Hi,

there is a virtual/editor package in the tree, that selects nano as the
default choice. A virtual/mta package does not exist ATM.

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0037.html

HTH, Emil

--
Emil Beinroth
83059 Kolbermoor | Germany

My dog run away with the README ..

Old 12-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Alexander Skwar

Emil Beinroth <emilbeinroth@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> there is a virtual/editor package in the tree, that selects nano as the
> default choice.

How does it do that? How do I make it select something else?

> A virtual/mta package does not exist ATM.

True. There are just packages which PROVIDE virtual/mta.

Alexander

Old 12-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Stroller

there is a virtual/editor package in the tree, that selects nano
as the

default choice.

How does it do that? How do I make it select something else?

I think you simply emerge vi (or vim or emacs or joe or whatever) and
then portage will no longer try to emerge nano (or any other editor).

EG:
emerge -C && emerge vi && emerge world

Stroller.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:03 PM
"Alexander Skwar"

Hello.

On Dec 7, 2007 3:56 PM, Stroller <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

On 7 Dec 2007, at 13:29, Alexander Skwar wrote:
> Emil Beinroth <emilbeinroth@gmx.net> wrote:
>>
>> there is a virtual/editor package in the tree, that selects nano

>> as the
>> default choice.
>
> How does it do that? How do I make it select something else?

I think you simply emerge vi (or vim or emacs or joe or whatever) and
then portage will no longer try to emerge nano (or any other editor).
*Yes, I know. That's one way. But why am I able to "preselect"
the virtual/mta by editing the virtuals file and why can't this same
thing be done for virtual/editor? Basically, I'd like to *preselect*

what should be taken as a virtual.

Best regards,

Alexander

Old 12-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Bo Ørsted Andresen

On Friday 07 December 2007 10:49:42 Alexander Skwar wrote:
> I installed stage-3 2007.0 and am now trying to configure
> it to my liking. For example, I dislike nano and would like
> to use vim instead. vim (among other editors) provides
> virtual/editor. So I thought, that I could add
>
> virtual/editor app-editors/vim
>
> to /etc/portage/profile/virtuals. BUT:
[SNIP]
> So, what am I doing wrong with regards to virtual/editor? I know
> that I could just install app-editors/vim and be done, but I'd
> like to know why emerge virtual/editor doesn't work the way I expect
> it to work (or why my expectation is wrong).

profile/virtuals is for old style virtuals only. editor was converted to a new
style virtual. New style virtuals are just ebuilds was an any-of runtime
dependency on all providers. On initial install portage will choose the first
visible provider that's listed in the ebuild. So either put it in an overlay
or just install the provider you want and let that satisfy it...

--
Bo Andresen

Old 12-07-2007, 02:07 PM
Emil Beinroth

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 02:29:54PM +0100, Alexander Skwar wrote:
> Emil Beinroth <emilbeinroth@gmx.net> wrote:
> > there is a virtual/editor package in the tree, that selects nano as the
> > default choice.
>
> How does it do that?

It's done by using the RDEPEND variable inside the virtual/editor
ebuild.

RDEPEND="|| ( app-editors/nano
app-editors/dav
..."

That says that the package needs any of the packages in parentheses to
run. If none of them are installed, the first one in the list is
selected to be installed. (AFAIK)

You can read about this in "man 5 ebuild", on [1] and the glep posted
before (that should be an particularly interesting read).

> How do I make it select something else?

I would say you don't. Just emerge the package you want (as you already
mentioned).

Cheers, Emil

[1] http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/dependencies/index.html

--
Emil Beinroth
83059 Kolbermoor | Germany

BUFFERS=20 FILES=15 2nd down, 4th quarter, 5 yards to go!

Old 12-07-2007, 02:15 PM
Alexander Skwar

Emil Beinroth <emilbeinroth@gmx.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 02:29:54PM +0100, Alexander Skwar wrote:
>> Emil Beinroth <emilbeinroth@gmx.net> wrote:
>> > there is a virtual/editor package in the tree, that selects nano as the
>> > default choice.
>>
>> How does it do that?
>
> It's done by using the RDEPEND variable inside the virtual/editor
> ebuild.
>
> RDEPEND="|| ( app-editors/nano
> app-editors/dav
> ..."
>
> That says that the package needs any of the packages in parentheses to
> run. If none of them are installed, the first one in the list is
> selected to be installed. (AFAIK)

Thx. Understood.

[...]
>> How do I make it select something else?
>
> I would say you don't. Just emerge the package you want (as you already
> mentioned).

Okay. And why am I able to preselect the mta the way I
demonstrated?

Alexander

Old 12-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Alexander Skwar

Bo Ørsted Andresen <bo.andresen@zlin.dk> wrote:

> On Friday 07 December 2007 10:49:42 Alexander Skwar wrote:
>> I installed stage-3 2007.0 and am now trying to configure
>> it to my liking. For example, I dislike nano and would like
>> to use vim instead. vim (among other editors) provides
>> virtual/editor. So I thought, that I could add
>>
>> virtual/editor app-editors/vim
>>
>> to /etc/portage/profile/virtuals. BUT:
> [SNIP]
>> So, what am I doing wrong with regards to virtual/editor? I know
>> that I could just install app-editors/vim and be done, but I'd
>> like to know why emerge virtual/editor doesn't work the way I expect
>> it to work (or why my expectation is wrong).
>
> profile/virtuals is for old style virtuals only. editor was converted to a
> new style virtual. New style virtuals are just ebuilds was an any-of
> runtime dependency on all providers. On initial install portage will
> choose the first visible provider that's listed in the ebuild. So either
> put it in an overlay or just install the provider you want and let that
> satisfy it...

Thx. Understood as well.

So the expectation should be, that it's not going to be possible
to preselect an mta the way I've shown, as soon as virtual/mta
is converted to a new style virtual.

Is that right? Is there work going on to change all the old
style virtuals to new style ones?

I don't know, but from a user perspective, these new style virtuals
offer less flexibility. I've read the GLEP, but don't quite understand
why something with lesser flexibility has been introduced. I understood,
that old style virtuals might have had some performance problems for
portage.

Well. I guess there's nothing that can be done about it.

Thanks,

Alexander

Old 12-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Bo Ørsted Andresen

On Friday 07 December 2007 16:21:31 Alexander Skwar wrote:
> So the expectation should be, that it's not going to be possible
> to preselect an mta the way I've shown, as soon as virtual/mta
> is converted to a new style virtual.
>
> Is that right? Is there work going on to change all the old
> style virtuals to new style ones?

You are right except for the fact that virtual/mta will not be converted any
time soon (if ever). Old style virtuals allow their providers to block all
other providers by blocking the virtual. This isn't possible with the current
format for new style virtuals so it isn't going to happen. editor didn't need
that feature and thus could easily be converted...

--
Bo Andresen