Old 12-07-2007, 05:41 AM
Randy Barlow

Default services not starting since move to amd64

Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> looks fine but doesn't start at next boot. Or more exactly: It seems to
> get started, but doesn't run then.

Does this only happen at boot, or does it also happen if you manually
call /etc/init.d/sshd start?

--
Randy Barlow
http://electronsweatshop.com

Old 12-07-2007, 08:15 PM
"Marzan, Richard non Unisys"

This might or might not be an issue related to your kernel
configuration. There is an option in the kernel to allow IA32
executables to run under the AMD64 platform. I don't know the particular
name of this option in the .config file but, nonetheless, it should be
listed as an option in the kernel configuration. I doubt this will solve
it but give it a try. Also, see if you can run other 32-bit Apps. If
they run than it's most likely not going to be solved by my suggestion
but it would still be a good idea to enable that feature in the kernel
for practical reasons.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:42 AM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Randy Barlow schrieb:
> Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>> looks fine but doesn't start at next boot. Or more exactly: It seems to
>> get started, but doesn't run then.
>
> Does this only happen at boot, or does it also happen if you manually
> call /etc/init.d/sshd start?

Only at boot, I can start it OK manually ...

But: Today all services started OK.

Maybe "emerge -1 baselayout" helped now at the first reboot since then.
I will have a close look at the next reboot.

Thanks Stefan

Old 12-08-2007, 10:45 AM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Marzan, Richard non Unisys schrieb:

> This might or might not be an issue related to your kernel
> configuration. There is an option in the kernel to allow IA32
> executables to run under the AMD64 platform. I don't know the particular
> name of this option in the .config file but, nonetheless, it should be
> listed as an option in the kernel configuration. I doubt this will solve
> it but give it a try. Also, see if you can run other 32-bit Apps. If
> they run than it's most likely not going to be solved by my suggestion
> but it would still be a good idea to enable that feature in the kernel
> for practical reasons.

This feature was and is enabled, thanks.
Issue solved as it seems, see other mail a few min ago.

Stefan

Old 12-08-2007, 11:22 AM
William Kenworthy

Get a list of services and levels with rc-update -s
then del and re-add each service to recreate the links.

i.e., each service that should be started has a link in /etc/runlevels/*
Also, try running depscan.sh -u but I think this is done on startup
anyway.

BillK

--
William Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au>