Old 12-07-2007, 05:20 AM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Default services not starting since move to amd64

Greets, gentoo-users,

as soem of you might remember I only recently migrated my system to
amd64 (fresh install).

I don't exactly know if there is a relation to this move but since then
I have the problem that some services simply don't start when the system
boots.

For example xinetd, sshd and smartd don't start, they get started and
show their green "OK"-message but aren't running afterwards.

I checked "rc-config list":

sshd default
[...]
xinetd default

I removed and re-added the services

# rc-config delete sshd default
Deleting sshd from following runlevels
default [done]
# rc-config add sshd default
Adding sshd to following runlevels
default [done]

looks fine but doesn't start at next boot. Or more exactly: It seems to
get started, but doesn't run then.

If it was only one of the services I would consider a misconfiguration
in its configfiles somewhere, but I see this for several services:

cpufreqd, distccd, hddtemp, iscsid, ..... smartd, sshd, ....

Could anyone point me to what to do to solve this?

Thanks a lot, Stefan