Old 12-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Randy Barlow

Default New kernel broken nvidia-drivers

Mick wrote:
> Read your error again. It tells you to run make oldconfig to fix it.
> However, if you check my earlier message posted today about "Make errors with
> new kernel..." you'll see that I have not been able to emerge any drivers
> with the new kernel. I suspect a bug.

If you pay attention to that part, it is an echo statement, and it is
not echoed, thus not the solution to the problem. The files that it
tests for do exist in /usr/src/linux/include (and I always run make
oldconfig when building a new kernel). I just saw your thread though,
and it does seem pretty similar. I wonder if it's a problem with the
new kernel, or if the way to configure the things that the drivers need
has changed. Anybody else have a clue?

--
Randy Barlow
http://electronsweatshop.com

Old 12-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Ian Lee

Randy Barlow wrote:
> I updated from 2.6.22-gentoo-r9 to 2.6.23-gentoo-r3, and now
> nvidia-drivers-1.0-7185 won't build. I use the older drivers because I
> have a Riva TNT2. When I change the /usr/src/linux link to the old
> kernel source, the package builds just fine, so I'm thinking that
> something is broken with my new config. I attached the build log. It
> complains about some things not being defined, like nv_pte_t_cache. Is
> this a kernel config problem? I didn't find it in bugs.gentoo, but
> google found a few others having the same issue with some other versions
> of nvidia-drivers.

according to the nvidia site version 71.86.01 is the lastest TNT2
drivers have tried these they are in the portage tree

Old 12-07-2007, 02:12 AM
Randy Barlow

Ian Lee wrote:
> according to the nvidia site version 71.86.01 is the lastest TNT2
> drivers have tried these they are in the portage tree

Thanks for the heads up! I had from a while ago blocked versions newer
than 1.0.7185 because it used to be that they wouldn't work with my
card. Apparently they have a new version scheme than they used to use,
but you are right, 71.86.01 works. Now we just have to solve Mick's
problem!