Old 07-28-2008, 01:19 PM
"Budd, Tracy"

Default USB headset...

Right now mixer
shows the onboard sound as the sound device.
How do I switch it
to the head set?
Thanks,
-Tracy

Old 07-28-2008, 01:51 PM
"Alan McKinnon"

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Budd, Tracy <Tracy.Budd@solers.com> wrote:

Right now mixer
shows the onboard sound as the sound device.
How do I switch it
to the head set?
Thanks,
-Tracy

Which mixer, what environment, what hardware and what drivers are in use?
--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 07-28-2008, 05:10 PM
"Budd, Tracy"

*

Right now mixer shows the onboard sound as
the sound device.
How do I switch it to the head
set?
Thanks,
-Tracy

Which mixer, what environment, what hardware and what drivers
are in use?
--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com
*
What do you mean by environment, and by drivers do you mean loaded
modules?*

Old 07-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 28 July 2008, Budd, Tracy wrote:
> What do you mean by environment, and by drivers do you mean loaded
> modules?

environment as in desktop environment (kde, gnome, something else...),
mainly so others can see if you are using a mixer that plays nicely
with other stuff you have running

drivers as in which drivers is your kernel using to address the audio
hardware. It sometimes is useful to note if they are modules or
compiled-in, but don't omit one class

Your original question is not really answerable due to lack of data, you
have basically asked one of those "how long is a bit of string?"
questions. Are you new to gentoo? If so, it's good to say so. Then
other people on the list know how complicated they can make the
answer :-)

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 07-29-2008, 02:20 AM
"Budd, Tracy"

Right now mixer shows the onboard sound as the sound device.
How do I switch it to the head set?
Thanks,
-Tracy

Which mixer, what environment, what hardware and what drivers are in use?

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

environment: xfce4 used the alsa-mixer in a terminal
mother board: Epox 9npa+ultra nForce4 ultra chipset, onboard audio Realtek ALC850 selectable 2 or 8-CH audio CODEC with SPDIF
cpu: amd athlon 2.4GHz
headset: logitec

lsmod

Module Size Used by
snd_seq 49824 0
snd_pcm_oss 41504 0
snd_mixer_oss 16192 1 snd_pcm_oss
isofs 25096 0
reiserfs 202160 0
snd_usb_audio 92192 0
snd_usb_lib 16768 1 snd_usb_audio
vfat 12032 1
snd_rawmidi 21792 1 snd_usb_lib
fat 51056 1 vfat
snd_seq_device 6544 1 snd_rawmidi
snd_hwdep 8328 1 snd_usb_audio
nvidia 8103504 24
snd_intel8x0 33384 1
ohci1394 29576 0
snd_ac97_codec 115544 1 snd_intel8x0
ide_cd 39328 0
ac97_bus 2496 1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm 78028 4 snd_pcm_oss,snd_usb_audio,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_co dec
ieee1394 86928 1 ohci1394
i2c_nforce2 6080 0
k8temp 5248 0
cdrom 37352 1 ide_cd
hwmon 2720 1 k8temp
forcedeth 46412 0
snd_timer 20552 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
evdev 10752 0
i2c_core 21336 2 nvidia,i2c_nforce2
ehci_hcd 31756 0
snd 54312 13 snd_seq,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_usb_audio,sn d_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_hwdep,snd_intel8x0,sn d_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
ohci_hcd 22404 0
floppy 61576 0
snd_page_alloc 8720 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

Let me know if any other information would be useful.
I am not a newbie to Gentoo, but I am far from an expert.

Thank you.
-Tracy

Old 09-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Richard

I use ALSA for sound. The program alsamixer takes an argument '-c' and
then a number, indicating which of those devices which are available to
ALSA you want to adjust volume levels for.

Richard