Old 07-19-2008, 08:21 AM
"Andrea Momesso"

Default What *-sources for laptop

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 9:29 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

On Saturday 19 July 2008, Amar Cosic wrote:

> Hello all

> I am about to install Gentoo on laptop for first time.I use

> gentoo-sources on desktop but I would like to know is there maybe

> something better for laptop? Also, I would appreciate if someone

> could give me some of yours make.conf's you use on laptop. Thanks

gentoo-sources is fine for laptops. What do you have in your laptop that

makes you think some other patches will perform better?

Someone else's make.conf is not going to help you much, it's way to

customized for each machine. You could start by copying the one you

already have on your desktop and working from there. It's what I do,

the only things I change are the arch and the cpu-specific USE flags

(things like mmx, sse)

--

Alan McKinnon

alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

If you need advanced hibernate and suspend functions tuxonice-sources are fine too.
--
Momesso Andrea

Old 07-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 09:17:39 +0200, Amar Cosic wrote:

> I am about to install Gentoo on laptop for first time.I use
> gentoo-sources on desktop but I would like to know is there maybe
> something better for laptop?

tuxonice-sources, which is gentoo-sources plus the tuxonice
suspend/hibernate patches.

--
Neil Bothwick

Politicians are like nappies
Both should be changed regularly, and for the same reason

Old 07-19-2008, 04:06 PM
James

Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:

> tuxonice-sources, which is gentoo-sources plus the tuxonice
> suspend/hibernate patches.

I read the default site: http://www.tuxonice.net.

Interestingly, I found this dysfunctional url using 'eix tuxonice':

http://dev.gentoo.org/~dsd/genpatches http://www.tuxonice.net

Any other locations where one can read up on this tuxonice,
gentoo style offering?

James

Old 07-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 16:06:12 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:

> Interestingly, I found this dysfunctional url using 'eix tuxonice':
>
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~dsd/genpatches http://www.tuxonice.net

Those are two quite functional URLs

--
Neil Bothwick

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes!

Old 07-19-2008, 04:28 PM
James

Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:

> > http://dev.gentoo.org/~dsd/genpatches http://www.tuxonice.net

> Those are two quite functional URLs

Must have been some transient error.
Now I find it.
Thanks

James

Old 07-19-2008, 06:43 PM
dexter

James pisze:

Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~dsd/genpatches http://www.tuxonice.net

Those are two quite functional URLs

Must have been some transient error.
Now I find it.
Thanks

James

Although these sources have some potential, I still am unable to boot
into linux when running on battery, on AC everything works fine.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Sebastian Günther

* dexter (dexters84@gmail.com) [19.07.08 20:44]:

> Although these sources have some potential, I still am unable to boot into
> linux when running on battery, on AC everything works fine.

Strange problem... but I would think it to be more a hardware problem.
Did you ever tried to use a gentoo-source-kernel and experienced teh
same problem?

I have abolutely no problem with the tuxonice-sources. booting,
suspending, resuming: everything on ac or battery, no problem.

Sebastian

--
" Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx

SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@guenther-roetgen.de