Old 07-19-2008, 07:40 AM
Alan McKinnon

Default revdep-rebuild now very very fast

Hi all,

revdep-rebuild now runs amazingly fast on my machine - 18 seconds as
opposed to the 5 minutes or so it used to take !

I see gentoolkit was updated recently. Is this expected behaviour?

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 07-19-2008, 07:44 AM
Johann Schmitz

Old 07-19-2008, 09:28 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag, 19. Juli 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> revdep-rebuild now runs amazingly fast on my machine - 18 seconds as
> opposed to the 5 minutes or so it used to take !
>
> I see gentoolkit was updated recently. Is this expected behaviour?

or you are a victim of that new preserved-libs stuff in portage ....

Old 07-23-2008, 03:35 PM
"Vladimir G. Ivanovic"

revdep-rebuild now runs amazingly fast on my machine - 18 seconds as
opposed to the 5 minutes or so it used to take !

I see gentoolkit was updated recently. Is this expected behaviour?

or you are a victim of that new preserved-libs stuff in portage ....

s/victim/beneficiary/

"That preserved-lib stuff" has worked just fine for me. It's useful to
know what needs to be rebuilt, then to be able to rebuild just those
packages.

--- Vladimir

--
Vladimir G. Ivanovic

Old 07-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Andrew Gaydenko

======= On Wednesday 23 July 2008, Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote: =======
> on 07/19/2008 02:28 AM Volker Armin Hemmann said the following:
> > On Samstag, 19. Juli 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> revdep-rebuild now runs amazingly fast on my machine - 18 seconds as
> >> opposed to the 5 minutes or so it used to take !
> >>
> >> I see gentoolkit was updated recently. Is this expected behaviour?
> >
> > or you are a victim of that new preserved-libs stuff in portage ....

Is there somewhere some information about this "preserved-libs"? Wiki has
not found anything.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:24 PM
"Vladimir G. Ivanovic"

http://r0bertz.blogspot.com/2008/06/portage-22-preserve-libs-features.html

and

http://blog.flameeyes.eu/articles/2008/06/30/a-few-risks-i-see-related-to-the-new-portage-2-2-preserve-libs-behaviour
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/articles/2008/07/22/the-odyssey-of-preserved-libs-feature

Google (for now) is your friend.

--- Vladimir

Old 07-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Justin

Vladimir G. Ivanovic schrieb:
http://r0bertz.blogspot.com/2008/06/portage-22-preserve-libs-features.html

NOw I got the idea behind the preserve-libs thing. Where are the lists
of packages which are in this set saved? Or are they generated on the fly?

Old 07-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Mittwoch, 23. Juli 2008, Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:
> on 07/19/2008 02:28 AM Volker Armin Hemmann said the following:
> > On Samstag, 19. Juli 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> revdep-rebuild now runs amazingly fast on my machine - 18 seconds as
> >> opposed to the 5 minutes or so it used to take !
> >>
> >> I see gentoolkit was updated recently. Is this expected behaviour?
> >
> > or you are a victim of that new preserved-libs stuff in portage ....
>
> s/victim/beneficiary/
>
> "That preserved-lib stuff" has worked just fine for me. It's useful to
> know what needs to be rebuilt, then to be able to rebuild just those
> packages.

a friend of mine was fucked by this stuff when he did an emerge -e world after
gcc update.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:07 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 18:33:12 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> > "That preserved-lib stuff" has worked just fine for me. It's useful to
> > know what needs to be rebuilt, then to be able to rebuild just those
> > packages.
>
> a friend of mine was fucked by this stuff when he did an emerge -e
> world after gcc update.

That's what you get for running development code. I hope he filed a bug
report ;-)

--
Neil Bothwick

Copper wire was invented by two Scotsmen fighting over a penny!