Old 07-19-2008, 04:38 AM
Allan Gottlieb

Default Mounting usb problem

At Fri, 18 Jul 2008 20:56:24 -0700 (PDT) Norman Hakim <desprado_mariachi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have problem regarding mounting my usb thumbdrive. I have tried to
> add this line to /etc/fstab:
>
> echo "/dev/usb /mnt/usb auto noauto,rw,user" >>/etc/fstab

Do you have a "file" called /dev/usb ?

On my system they have longer names.

What does
ls /dev/usb*
show?

allan

Old 07-19-2008, 05:02 AM
Norman Hakim

> Do you have a "file" called /dev/usb ?
>
> On my system they have longer names.
>
> What does
> ls /dev/usb*
> show?
>
> allan
> --
It shows:

/dev/usbdev1.1_ep00 /dev/usbdev1.2_ep81 /dev/usbdev3.1_ep81
/dev/usbdev1.1_ep81 /dev/usbdev2.1_ep00 /dev/usbdev4.1_ep00
/dev/usbdev1.2_ep00 /dev/usbdev2.1_ep81 /dev/usbdev4.1_ep81
/dev/usbdev1.2_ep02 /dev/usbdev3.1_ep00

Regards,
Norman

Old 07-19-2008, 06:58 AM
"Andrew Tchernoivanov"

>SCSI device sda: 3973120 512-byte hdwr sectors (2034 MB)
>sda: Write Protect is off

>sda: Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00

>sda: assuming drive cache: write through

>SCSI device sda: 3973120 512-byte hdwr sectors (2034 MB)
>sda: Write Protect is off

>sda: Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00

>sda: assuming drive cache: write through
> sda: sda1

According to this if* you want to mount tour USB drive, you should use /dev/sda1 instead of /dev/usb

Old 07-19-2008, 07:13 AM
Sebastian Günther

* Norman Hakim (desprado_mariachi@yahoo.com) [19.07.08 06:24]:

> > From: Norman Hakim <desprado_mariachi@yahoo.com>
> > Subject: [gentoo-user] Mounting usb problem
> > To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
> > Date: Friday, July 18, 2008, 10:56 PM
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have problem regarding mounting my usb thumbdrive. I have
> > tried to add this line to /etc/fstab:
> >
> > echo "/dev/usb /mnt/usb auto noauto,rw,user"
> >
> > After i mount it:
> > mount /dev/usb

No wonder, this device node is unknown to the system.

> > It shows there is no mount point for /dev/usb
> >
> > I wonder is it this is the correct line that i should put
> > into /etc/fstab?
> >
> > Or should i post the output of dmesg here?
> >

> > Regards,
> > Norman

> This is the output:
>
> usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
> usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
> usb-storage: device found at 2
> usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
> scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
> SCSI device sda: 3973120 512-byte hdwr sectors (2034 MB)
> sda: Write Protect is off
> sda: Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
> sda: assuming drive cache: write through
> SCSI device sda: 3973120 512-byte hdwr sectors (2034 MB)
> sda: Write Protect is off
> sda: Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
> sda: assuming drive cache: write through
> sda: sda1

Here it states that it has the /dev/sda1 node

> sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
> usb-storage: device scan complete
> sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0

So the correct line for fstab is left as an exercise.

And some warning in advance:
The device node may change if you use multiple thumbdrives.

For giving the thumbdrive a permanent node, refer to some HowTo on
writing udev rules.

HTH
Sebastian

--
" Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx

SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@guenther-roetgen.de

Old 07-19-2008, 07:20 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 19 July 2008, Andrew Tchernoivanov wrote:
> >SCSI device sda: 3973120 512-byte hdwr sectors (2034 MB)
> >sda: Write Protect is off
> >sda: Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
> >sda: assuming drive cache: write through
> >SCSI device sda: 3973120 512-byte hdwr sectors (2034 MB)
> >sda: Write Protect is off
> >sda: Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
> >sda: assuming drive cache: write through
> > sda: sda1
>
> According to this if *you want to mount tour USB drive, you should
> use /dev/sda1 instead of /dev/usb

That is likely to break if he puts two usb devices in the system and
inserts them in the wrong order to what he usually does....

Rather mount by fs LABEL on the device or it's GUID. First column
in /etc/fstab:

LABEL=MY_FS_LABEL
GUID=VERY_LONG_GUID_GOES_HERE

Personally, I feel fstab is the wrong place for pluggable filesystems.
Rather use automounting daemons like ivman, or the desktop environment,
for this purpose and leave only fixed disks in fstab that are not
likely to change

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 07-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Sebastian Günther

* Alan McKinnon (alan.mckinnon@gmail.com) [19.07.08 09:19]:

> Rather mount by fs LABEL on the device or it's GUID. First column
> in /etc/fstab:
>
> LABEL=MY_FS_LABEL
> GUID=VERY_LONG_GUID_GOES_HERE
>
> Personally, I feel fstab is the wrong place for pluggable filesystems.
> Rather use automounting daemons like ivman, or the desktop environment,
> for this purpose and leave only fixed disks in fstab that are not
> likely to change

but ivman does it in kind of a dumb manner:
plugin first usb drive -> mount point /mount/sda*
plugin second usb drive -> mount point /mount/sdb*
unplug both
plugin second usb drive -> mount point /mount/sda* !

This can get confusing, if do not always use GUIs.

If you give udev a rule to symlink the thumbdrive to something like
/dev/first and add a line /dev/first /media/first, ivman will always use
that mount point.

If you have your boot partition on a thumbdrive you will appriciate this
behavior.

Sebastian

Old 07-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Philip Webb

080718 Norman Hakim wrote:
> I have problem regarding mounting my usb thumbdrive.
> I have tried to add this line to /etc/fstab:
> echo "/dev/usb /mnt/usb auto noauto,rw,user" >>/etc/fstab

I have '/dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb auto noauto,user,umask=000 0 0'.
This is ok as long as I use only 1 USB stick at the same time:
Udev creates /dev/sdb1 when the stick is inserted
& would create /dev/sdb2 etc if there were > 1 ,
so that would require additional lines in 'fstab'.

> After i mount it with 'mount /dev/usb'
> it shows there is no mount point for /dev/usb

I 'mount /dev/usb1 /mnt/usb' from the root command-line:
there is already a dir /mnt/usb , which I created earlier,
& 'umask=000' in 'fstab' ensures I can access the stick as user.
Once I have mounted the stick like this,
I can read/write to it from my user's command-line or use Krusader with it.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb