Old 07-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Stroller

Default Creating a wireless router

On 18 Jul 2008, at 15:30, Jason Carson wrote:

I want to setup a wireless router for the first time using WPA.
Here is

the setup I want...

Internet---Gentoo Wireless Router---My Computer

I have configured my kernel properly from what I can tell and emerged
madwifi. However when I modprobe ath_pci nothing shows up. When I do
ifconfig -a I get...

Hi there,

I assume you've read
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Building_a_Wireless_Access_Point ?

When I wrote this I was using a Prism54 card, not an Atheros-based
one. I have used Atheros since (and would as a matter of choice), but
it appears I never got around to updating the wiki (and I won't
update it in the future because, basically, maintaining wikis is a
lot of work). Further reading reveals inaccuracies in the current
article.

Madwifi requires an extra step when creating the interface:

wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode ap

http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/SimpleAccessPoint

IIRC you can do this in your modprobe or udev rules (preferable), or
as a preup stage in /etc/conf.d/net
IIRC a udev (??) rule is created automagically when you first create
the interface and it's this you can edit to make it so that it
automatically comes up as an AP, rather than in client mode.

You state that "However when I modprobe ath_pci nothing shows up",
but the interface HAS come up - it's shown as wifi0 in the ifconfig
output you post. I don't use WPA but when using WEP (which I would
advise you to get working first) you then have to:

ifconfig wifi0 up
iwconfig wifi0 mode Master essid foobert channel 11
iwconfig wifi0 essid foobert channel 11 key aabbccdd

(or, obviously, the equivalent in /etc/conf.d/net - this is well
documented in /etc/conf.d/net.example)

Anyway, Google "madwifi master mode" should give you plenty of fodder
to get things up on a one-off basis using manual commands so that you
can see it's working. You then just have to figure out how to
integrate what you've learned into the Gentoo bootscripts - hopefully
Google "gentoo madwifi master mode" will help.

However my computer doesn't show a wireless network to connect too.

I assume you mean your OTHER, client, computer by this. When posting
problems it helps to be as explicit as possible - for example when
posting the ifconfig output it would've been beneficial to post
EVERYTHING you did in order to get there.

Oh! Also, the great thing about the madwifi drivers is that you can
great virtual APs - as long as they all have the same channel then
you can have wifi0, wifi1 and wifi2 on the same card (just
`wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi1 wlanmode ap && wlanconfig ath0
create wlandev wifi2 wlanmode ap`). You can run one of these open,
one as WEP and (presumably) one as WPA, bridging the secure networks
with your wired LAN (for best integration) and NATting the open
network using iptables (so you can give clients free or filtered
internet access without having to worry about them accessing LAN
services. This is useful if you have a Nintendo DS, which doesn't
support WPA).

Please post back any problems.

Stroller.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:55 PM