Old 07-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Mick

Default Is this because of make oldconfig?

Hi All,

I rolled up a new kernel after I ran make oldconfig and noticed this little
message:
=======================================
. . .
CC arch/x86/lib/usercopy_32.o
AR arch/x86/lib/lib.a
LD vmlinux.o
MODPOST vmlinux.o
WARNING: modpost: Found 10 section mismatch(es).
To see full details build your kernel with:
'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y'
GEN .version
CHK include/linux/compile.h
UPD include/linux/compile.h
CC init/version.o
LD init/built-in.o
LD .tmp_vmlinux1
KSYM .tmp_kallsyms1.S
. . .
Kernel: arch/x86/boot/bzImage is ready (#1)
Building modules, stage 2.
MODPOST 66 modules
WARNING: modpost: Found 5 section mismatch(es).
To see full details build your kernel with:
'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y'
CC drivers/acpi/video.mod.o
LD [M] drivers/acpi/video.ko
CC drivers/block/cryptoloop.mod.o
LD [M] drivers/block/cryptoloop.ko
CC drivers/bluetooth/bcm203x.mod.o
LD [M] drivers/bluetooth/bcm203x.ko
CC drivers/bluetooth/hci_uart.mod.o
LD [M] drivers/bluetooth/hci_uart.ko
. . .
=======================================

What's it telling me? Is this something I should ignore?
Mick

Old 07-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Mick wrote:

Hi All,

I rolled up a new kernel after I ran make oldconfig and noticed this little
message:

[...]
WARNING: modpost: Found 5 section mismatch(es).
To see full details build your kernel with:
'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y'
[...]
What's it telling me? Is this something I should ignore?

It's telling you to do 'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y' to get
more info :P

Old 07-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Old 07-18-2008, 06:43 PM
"Duane Griffin"

2008/7/18 Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com>:
> Hi All,
>
> I rolled up a new kernel after I ran make oldconfig and noticed this little
> message:
[snip]
> WARNING: modpost: Found 10 section mismatch(es).
[snip]
> What's it telling me? Is this something I should ignore?

The tool has detected something that could be a kernel bug or could be
a false positive. If it is a bug it may or may not actually affect
you, but probably won't. You'll know if it does because you'll see
nasty errors in your logs. I'd recommend ignoring it unless you see
those errors, it shouldn't corrupt your data or anything like that.

It has nothing to do with oldconfig.

Cheers,
Duane.

--
"I never could learn to drink that blood and call it wine" - Bob Dylan

Old 07-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Mick

On Friday 18 July 2008, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> Mick wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I rolled up a new kernel after I ran make oldconfig and noticed this
> > little message:
> > [...]
> > WARNING: modpost: Found 5 section mismatch(es).
> > To see full details build your kernel with:
> > 'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y'
> > [...]
> > What's it telling me? Is this something I should ignore?
>
> It's telling you to do 'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y' to get
> more info :P

Sure, but since I'm not a kernel hacker (to be able to meaningfully decipher
10 pages of esoteric kernel debug info) and I could do without having to
remake the kernel in a rush, I thought of asking here first. ;-)

BTW, am I supposed to run by hand:

make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y && make modules_install

or should I set CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y somewhere else?
Mick

Old 07-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Mick

On Friday 18 July 2008, Duane Griffin wrote:
> 2008/7/18 Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com>:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I rolled up a new kernel after I ran make oldconfig and noticed this
> > little message:
>
> [snip]
>
> > WARNING: modpost: Found 10 section mismatch(es).
>
> [snip]
>
> > What's it telling me? Is this something I should ignore?
>
> The tool has detected something that could be a kernel bug or could be
> a false positive. If it is a bug it may or may not actually affect
> you, but probably won't. You'll know if it does because you'll see
> nasty errors in your logs. I'd recommend ignoring it unless you see
> those errors, it shouldn't corrupt your data or anything like that.
>
> It has nothing to do with oldconfig.

Thanks guys.

Mick