Old 07-18-2008, 03:45 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Trouble tweaking KDE package "six"

I've never tried to hack a KDE appliction before, and I'm having a
bunch of trouble just finding the right resources to RTF*.

The package is six-0.5.3, and I have some tweaks I got from the
original author back at release 0.3.3, but I cannot get them into the
0.5.3 source tree properly.

It involves a new target in Makefile.am, but if I run a new 'automake'
I get a Makefile.in which is _very_ different from the old one, and
won't even compile the old target. Most obviously, a bunch of *.moc
targets are not generated. The Makefile has some references to
'automoc', but that does not seem to be an executable or package in
Gentoo (but if I'm reading it right, it is a package in Ubuntu).

I have a book on autotools, but have only used them, not configured
them. I have a book on Qt (apropos of moc and automoc), but have
never written Qt code. My tweak is for a non-GUI alternative, so I
was hoping that the GUI stuff would just keep working and not bother
me. KDE itself seems to be largely lacking in programming docs (or I
just missed it), although there a a few short tutorials.

I'm not looking for answers (my questions may not yet be well-enough
formulated for that), but pointers to resources. Of course, if anyone
has answers, or can guide me, that would be welcome too.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 07-19-2008, 03:14 PM
Patric Schmitz

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 20:45:32 -0700
"Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> It involves a new target in Makefile.am, but if I run a new 'automake'
> I get a Makefile.in which is _very_ different from the old one, and
> won't even compile the old target. Most obviously, a bunch of *.moc
> targets are not generated. The Makefile has some references to
> 'automoc', but that does not seem to be an executable or package in
> Gentoo (but if I'm reading it right, it is a package in Ubuntu).

http://doc.trolltech.com/4.4/moc.html
seems to be "Meta object compiler", a Qt thing. The ebuild
x11-libs/qt seems to provide "/usr/bin/moc", haven't found automoc (as
an executable at least).

> I have a book on autotools, but have only used them, not configured
> them. I have a book on Qt (apropos of moc and automoc), but have
> never written Qt code. My tweak is for a non-GUI alternative, so I
> was hoping that the GUI stuff would just keep working and not bother
> me. KDE itself seems to be largely lacking in programming docs (or I
> just missed it), although there a a few short tutorials.

See above, http://doc.trolltech.com has tons of (professionally written
and maintained) documentation on Qt and everything around it.

> I'm not looking for answers (my questions may not yet be well-enough
> formulated for that), but pointers to resources. Of course, if anyone
> has answers, or can guide me, that would be welcome too.

wikipedia Qt/moc:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_%28toolkit%29#Meta_object_compiler

the famous autobook on autotools:
http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/

as well as the links above is all I have found just now. Hope this
helps.

Good Luck,
Patric.