Old 07-17-2008, 07:44 PM
sean

Default Video DVD Creation

Joerg Schilling wrote:

sean <tech.junk@verizon.net> wrote:

Following these steps
http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Applications_GUI_Multimedia/AVI_to_DVD

to create a DVD all went along great, including the Step 6 test.

I burned the DVD as instructed in the second half of step 6 then tried
the disc in my player.

It did not play, the DVD player just ejected the disc.

Did you install "cdrkit" instead of the official cdrtools?

If you have correct all upercase file names and if you use toe real mkisofs
it should work.

The mkisofs clone "genisoimage" is know for problems.....

Jörg

Thanks Jorg,

I updated cdrkit, I was a bit behind. The DVD will now play properly on
the computer, but not the player. Perhaps my Phillips player does not
like DVD-R.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:09 PM

sean <tech.junk@verizon.net> wrote:

> I updated cdrkit, I was a bit behind. The DVD will now play properly on
> the computer, but not the player. Perhaps my Phillips player does not
> like DVD-R.

A better idea is to update to cdrtools. cdrkit is still 3 years behind cdrtools
and the bug you mentioned has never been in the original software.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 07-17-2008, 09:26 PM
sean

Joerg Schilling wrote:

sean <tech.junk@verizon.net> wrote:

I updated cdrkit, I was a bit behind. The DVD will now play properly on
the computer, but not the player.

A better idea is to update to cdrtools. cdrkit is still 3 years behind cdrtools
and the bug you mentioned has never been in the original software.

Jörg

Thanks again Jorg,

I removed cdrkit and installed cdrtools.
Same results.

Have Fun,
Sean

Old 07-17-2008, 09:56 PM
sean

Jorg,

Another update. I had made two attempts burning my movie to a no-brand
DVD-R.

Not wanting to waste another DVD-R I instead used a brand name DVD+RW
for another test.
It worked, the movie played. When I get the chance I will pick up a
brand name DVD-R and try the burn again.

Thanks for the help,
Sean

Old 07-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

sean schrieb:

Jorg,

Another update. I had made two attempts burning my movie to a
no-brand DVD-R.

Not wanting to waste another DVD-R I instead used a brand name DVD+RW
for another test.
It worked, the movie played. When I get the chance I will pick up a
brand name DVD-R and try the burn again.

Thanks for the help,
Sean

I had problems with burning DVD-VIDEO to DVD-R too. Now i use DVD+R and
it works without problems at least at the PC (had no chance to test on
standalone players yet).

When burning to DVD-R the burn process starts, it burns 1MB or at least
the progress shows 1MB then it stucks for a few seconds after that the
burn process resumes and the rest is burned normally.

Regards,

Daniel

Old 07-18-2008, 10:02 AM

sean <tech.junk@verizon.net> wrote:

> Jorg,
>
> Another update. I had made two attempts burning my movie to a no-brand
> DVD-R.
>
> Not wanting to waste another DVD-R I instead used a brand name DVD+RW
> for another test.
> It worked, the movie played. When I get the chance I will pick up a
> brand name DVD-R and try the burn again.

If you like to use a DVD-R, you may better use cdrecord instead of growisofs in
order to get compatibility. Growisofs was designed on top of DVD+RW which uses
something similar to packetwriting.

Use

mkisofs -i xx.iso -dvd-video -r -J DVD/
cdrecord -v -sao xx.iso