Old 07-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Grant

Default Unmerge python?

>> I'm getting the following from portage on a critical remote system:
>>
>> <dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2 (is blocking app-admin/python-updater-0.5,
>> app-admin/python-updater-0.2)
>>
>> Am I suppose to un-emerge python?
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> Perhaps you should update your python. Version 2.3 will be removed from
> portage and is currently hardmasked. That triggers the depency bump.

'emerge -pv python' wants to install python-2.5.2-r5 in a new slot.
Should I unmerge python, emerge the new python, and run
python-updater? Will portage work once python has been unmerged? I'm
being cautious because this is a highly critical system for me.

- Grant

Old 07-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 09:04:17 -0700, Grant wrote:

> I'm getting the following from portage on a critical remote system:
>
> <dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2 (is blocking app-admin/python-updater-0.5,
> app-admin/python-updater-0.2)
>
> Am I suppose to un-emerge python?

Only if you already have python:2.4 installed. Either way, quickpkg
python before you do anything rash.

--
Neil Bothwick

OPERATOR ERROR: Nyah, Nyah, Nyah, Nyah, Nyah!

Old 07-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Dale

Grant wrote:

I'm getting the following from portage on a critical remote system:

<dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2 (is blocking app-admin/python-updater-0.5,
app-admin/python-updater-0.2)

Am I suppose to un-emerge python?

- Grant

Perhaps you should update your python. Version 2.3 will be removed from
portage and is currently hardmasked. That triggers the depency bump.

'emerge -pv python' wants to install python-2.5.2-r5 in a new slot.
Should I unmerge python, emerge the new python, and run
python-updater? Will portage work once python has been unmerged? I'm
being cautious because this is a highly critical system for me.

- Grant

If memory serves me correct, update python with the new slot, run
python-updater and then you should be able to unmerge the old python. I
would double check to make sure nothing depends on the old one before
removing it tho. Python is something you do not want to be without. I
seem to recall that portage uses python so removing it would be . . .
'bad'.

As was mentioned in another thread, you can set it up so that portage
will save a copy of your packages just in case. You can set it to do
them all or just the system ones. I think everybody should have it set
to at least system.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 07-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Justin

Grant schrieb:

I'm getting the following from portage on a critical remote system:

<dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2 (is blocking app-admin/python-updater-0.5,
app-admin/python-updater-0.2)

Am I suppose to un-emerge python?

- Grant

Perhaps you should update your python. Version 2.3 will be removed from
portage and is currently hardmasked. That triggers the depency bump.

'emerge -pv python' wants to install python-2.5.2-r5 in a new slot.
Should I unmerge python, emerge the new python, and run
python-updater? Will portage work once python has been unmerged? I'm
being cautious because this is a highly critical system for me.

- Grant

NO, do not unemerge python befor installing the new one!!!

It looks like your python is quite old. do you have version 2.4
installed? Then just do emerge -C =dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2 and run
python-updater afterwards. Otherwise try to emerge python 2.5 in the new
slot, run the python-updater and remove version 2.3 afterwards.
Nevertheless after updating python-updater you should run "
python-updater -ee -v -p" to see what should be still updated.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:43 PM
s3b4sm4gr1

2008/7/18 Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com>:

>> I'm getting the following from portage on a critical remote system:

>> <dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2 (is blocking app-admin/python-updater-0.5,

>> app-admin/python-updater-0.2)

>> Am I suppose to un-emerge python?

>> - Grant

> Perhaps you should update your python. Version 2.3 will be removed from

> portage and is currently hardmasked. That triggers the depency bump.

'emerge -pv python' wants to install python-2.5.2-r5 in a new slot.

Should I unmerge python, emerge the new python, and run

python-updater? *Will portage work once python has been unmerged? *I'm

being cautious because this is a highly critical system for me.
You should emerge python-2.5, then run python-updater and then unmerge old python...
*

- Grant

En el pasado creímos que se nos acababa
el petróleo, pero en realidad lo que se nos
acababan eran las IDEAS.
http://www.lacomunidadpetrolera.com

Gentoo/* (Linux #455615) www.gentoove.org
53:04:4e:b5:f9:7e:4a:fb:66:a2:19:12:da:d5:97:f8
8A3A C955 715D D88A 87CD E21F F827 ADD7 F589 B4A4
Sebastian Magrí (sebasmagri) <sebasmagri_at_gmail_dot_com>

Old 07-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 17 July 2008, Grant wrote:

> 'emerge -pv python' wants to install python-2.5.2-r5 in a new slot.
> Should I unmerge python, emerge the new python, and run
> python-updater? Will portage work once python has been unmerged?
> I'm being cautious because this is a highly critical system for me.

Nooooooooooo! You can't have a gentoo system without python - portage
heavily uses python scripts. This is even worse than unmerging gcc.

The general sequence (and ALWAYS read the ebuilds - especially the
*DEPEND sections and act appropriately) is:

merge new python in new SLOT
run python updater
check carefully that everything works properly
unmerge python in old SLOT

"A stitch in time" is your watchword here

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 07-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Donnerstag, 17. Juli 2008 schrieb Alan McKinnon:

> Nooooooooooo! You can't have a gentoo system without python

Yes, you can, as long as you don't use portage.

Bye...

Dirk

Old 07-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 17 July 2008, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 17. Juli 2008 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
> > Nooooooooooo! You can't have a gentoo system without python
>
> Yes, you can, as long as you don't use portage.

That'll teach me to be less vague more specific :-)

Old 07-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Grant

>>> Perhaps you should update your python. Version 2.3 will be removed from
>>> portage and is currently hardmasked. That triggers the depency bump.
>>>

>> 'emerge -pv python' wants to install python-2.5.2-r5 in a new slot.
>> Should I unmerge python, emerge the new python, and run
>> python-updater? Will portage work once python has been unmerged? I'm
>> being cautious because this is a highly critical system for me.
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> NO, do not unemerge python befor installing the new one!!!
>
> It looks like your python is quite old. do you have version 2.4 installed?
> Then just do emerge -C =dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2 and run python-updater
> afterwards. Otherwise try to emerge python 2.5 in the new slot, run the
> python-updater and remove version 2.3 afterwards.
> Nevertheless after updating python-updater you should run " python-updater
> -ee -v -p" to see what should be still updated.

I've emerged python-2.5 in the new slot, but I can't upgrade from
python-updater-0.2 to python-updater-0.5 until I un-emerge python-2.3.
Should I run python-updater-0.2 now, or un-emerge python-2.3, update
to python-updater-0.5, and run that? If it depends on if I have
python-2.4 installed or not, how can I check on that?

- Grant

Old 07-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Grant wrote:

I've emerged python-2.5 in the new slot, but I can't upgrade from
python-updater-0.2 to python-updater-0.5 until I un-emerge python-2.3.

That shouldn't happen; there's no rationale in this, unless I'm missing
something.

Should I run python-updater-0.2 now, or un-emerge python-2.3, update
to python-updater-0.5, and run that? If it depends on if I have
python-2.4 installed or not, how can I check on that?

You shouldn't unmerge old python unless the new one is made fully
functional. Post the exact error emerge gives when you try to update
python-updater.