-   -   discarding sources of old kernels (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/126172-discarding-sources-old-kernels.html)

Allan Gottlieb 07-16-2008 11:08 PM

discarding sources of old kernels

I keep a few old kernel binaries around that I know have worked.
They are not ancient; the oldest is 2.6.19*

Am I correct in believing that I can run these backup kernels even if
I discard the corresponding sources. I am fairly sure that I need
keep only the contents of /lib/modules/<version> and can discard
/usr/src/linux-version, but would appreciate confirmation.

thanks,
allan

Nikos Chantziaras 07-16-2008 11:32 PM

Allan Gottlieb wrote:

I keep a few old kernel binaries around that I know have worked.
They are not ancient; the oldest is 2.6.19*

Am I correct in believing that I can run these backup kernels even if
I discard the corresponding sources. I am fairly sure that I need
keep only the contents of /lib/modules/<version> and can discard
/usr/src/linux-version, but would appreciate confirmation.

You are correct; no sources needed.

Justin Findlay 07-16-2008 11:33 PM

On AD 2008 July 16 Wednesday 07:08:15 PM -0400, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> I keep a few old kernel binaries around that I know have worked.
> They are not ancient; the oldest is 2.6.19*
>
> Am I correct in believing that I can run these backup kernels even if
> I discard the corresponding sources. I am fairly sure that I need
> keep only the contents of /lib/modules/<version> and can discard
> /usr/src/linux-version, but would appreciate confirmation.

You just won't be able to build modules against them, for example. I've
run lots of kernels (on gentoo) after having deleted the source tree.
All other distributions I've ever run had the source in a completely
separate package.

Justin

Volker Armin Hemmann 07-16-2008 11:55 PM

On Donnerstag, 17. Juli 2008, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> I keep a few old kernel binaries around that I know have worked.
> They are not ancient; the oldest is 2.6.19*
>
> Am I correct in believing that I can run these backup kernels even if
> I discard the corresponding sources. I am fairly sure that I need
> keep only the contents of /lib/modules/<version> and can discard
> /usr/src/linux-version, but would appreciate confirmation.

yes.

and to speed up unmerging, delete the src directories first, unmerge after
that.

Allan Gottlieb 07-17-2008 12:55 AM

At Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:08:15 -0400 Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:

> I keep a few old kernel binaries around that I know have worked.
> They are not ancient; the oldest is 2.6.19*
>
> Am I correct in believing that I can run these backup kernels even if
> I discard the corresponding sources. I am fairly sure that I need
> keep only the contents of /lib/modules/<version> and can discard
> /usr/src/linux-version, but would appreciate confirmation.

Thank you all for the confirmation and the suggestion to first delete
the src directory itself (to speed up the unmerge).

allan