Old 07-16-2008, 10:25 PM
Grant

Default {OT} Screensaver to slideshow photos?

Does anyone know of a screensaver app in portage (xscreensaver?) that
will slideshow through photos? How about using the internet as a
source for the photos?

- Grant

Old 07-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Joshua D Doll

Grant wrote:

Does anyone know of a screensaver app in portage (xscreensaver?) that
will slideshow through photos? How about using the internet as a
source for the photos?

- Grant

There's webcollage in xscreensaver that will grab photos off the net and
make a collage out of them. Gnome-screensaver has one that will do local
files, but good luck configuring that POS.

--Joshua Doll

Old 07-17-2008, 03:01 AM
James

Grant <emailgrant <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Does anyone know of a screensaver app in portage (xscreensaver?) that
> will slideshow through photos? How about using the internet as a
> source for the photos?

It's easy, if you run kde (3.5.9)

--> control center
--> screen saver
--> Banners & Pictures
--> Slide show

hth,

James

Old 07-17-2008, 07:10 AM
Roy Wright

James wrote:
> Grant <emailgrant <at> gmail.com> writes:
> How about using the internet as a
>> source for the photos?
>
> It's easy, if you run kde (3.5.9)
>
> --> control center
> --> screen saver
> --> Banners & Pictures
> --> Slide show

I'm close to getting a first release out for an app that can easily
fetch photos from Flickr. It allows multiple selection criteria for
fetching from users, groups, photosets, searches, and interestingness.

http://rubyforge.org/projects/flickrfetchr/

The project provides a high level class for inclusion in other ruby
applications and a command line interface (ideal for cron jobs).

I'm developing this as an enhancement to the screensaver in LinuxMCE so
it should support the features that you will want.

I'm currently crossing the T's and dotting the I's on the documentation...

Have fun,
Roy

Old 07-17-2008, 07:29 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 15:25:40 -0700, Grant wrote:

> Does anyone know of a screensaver app in portage (xscreensaver?) that
> will slideshow through photos? How about using the internet as a
> source for the photos?

KDE's screensaver will run a slideshow. I don't know if it will accept a
URL for the source directory, but it can't hurt to try.

--
Neil Bothwick

... Taglines: and How They Affect Women. Next On Oprah.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Albert Hopkins

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 15:25 -0700, Grant wrote:
> Does anyone know of a screensaver app in portage (xscreensaver?) that
> will slideshow through photos? How about using the internet as a
> source for the photos?

xscreensaver has glslideshow and webcollage.

-a

Old 07-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Grant

>> Does anyone know of a screensaver app in portage (xscreensaver?) that
>> will slideshow through photos? How about using the internet as a
>> source for the photos?
>
> xscreensaver has glslideshow and webcollage.
>
> -a

I think glslideshow is what I'm after. Thanks a lot.

- Grant