Old 07-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Matthew Daubenspeck

Default Vmware install

I have a gentoo install (currently amd64/2007.0) with all of the current
up to date packages. I have been trying to upgrade the kernel for quite
a while now. The last kernel I can still seem to get running is
2.6.20-gentoo-r8. I've tried upgrading to every kernel as they have
entered into portage, and none since 2.6.20-r8 seems to be able to find
the Vmware "SCSI" disk.

The most recent try was gentoo-sources-2.6.25-r6, which failed the same
way. I've tried to download a 2008.0 current boot CD; that has the same
problem. I've also tried SystemRescueCd, which does the same, but since
it was based on gentoo, I wasn't too hopeful of it working.

With 2.6.20-gentoo-r8 I am using the Fusion MPT device support and it
works with no issues. I've tried using the drivers compiled in as well
as modules, both with the same disappointing results. Any suggestions?

The actual device detected with the older kernel is:

scsi0 : ioc0: LSI53C1030, FwRev=00000000h, Ports=1, MaxQ=128, IRQ=17

According to the kernel help, this should be supported by the MPT
ScsiHost driver for SPI, which is selected...
--
Matthew Daubenspeck
http://oddprocess.org

Gentoo Linux x86_64 Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 165
10:51:06 up 247 days, 1:38, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Old 07-16-2008, 03:34 PM
"Andrey Falko"

Old 07-16-2008, 03:34 PM
"Andrey Falko"

Old 07-17-2008, 10:59 AM
"Paul Healy"

On Jul 16, 4:20 pm, Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:
> I have a gentoo install (currently amd64/2007.0) with all of the current
> up to date packages. I have been trying to upgrade the kernel for quite
> a while now.

Assuming a gentoo client - I ran into something that sounds similar a
couple of months ago.

I had to patch the kernel LSI scsi driver to get it working - I have
notes (for myself mainly) at:

http://lmiphay.blogspot.com/2008/03/virtual-runabout.html

Confirmed working with 2.6.24-gentoo-r8

Paul

Old 06-28-2010, 01:40 AM
Tim Hanson

I just installed VMWare on my Lucid laptop, and Windows 7 on that. **aside**
The default W7 install creates a user account with root privileges. Still! I
_can't_believe_ those turkeys are still doing that!! **end of aside**

I installed Samba and am currently wading through smb.conf. Here's my
question: My connection to the internet is through my own wifi router at home
and, when I am at the local coffee shop, theirs. I assume the routers include
a DHCP server that gives me what I need to connect. ifconfig wlan shows
connection to a 192.168.*.* network here at the local bistro with free
wireless. Win 7 also found the connection and allowed a relay to the
internet.

**aside** Anyone who feels insecure about connecting to the internet through
free non-password-protected sites like restaurants and motels should get an
encrypted proxy. I use Secure-Tunnel, which sends everything through a
standard ssh tunnel and costs me about ten bucks a month. It's nice to know
some kid in the parking lot is not surfing the net with me. **end of aside**

How am I going to get Windows 7 within a VMWare virtual machine to find the
host, my real computer running Lucid? Look for localhost?

I know this isn't strictly an Ubuntu question, but I can't be the only Lucid
user who is doing this.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:49 AM
Gary Jarrel

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Tim Hanson <tjhanson@comcast.net> wrote:
> I just installed VMWare on my Lucid laptop, and Windows 7 on that. ***aside**
>
> How am I going to get Windows 7 within a VMWare virtual machine to find the
> host, my real computer running Lucid? *Look for localhost?

I've played around with VMWare workstation and found the following.

If you have have shared folders set up to your virtual machine you can
usually go to the run menu in Windows 7 and type in vmware-host and
it will give you a list of things that you have shared from your linux
to your virtual machine.

Apart from that the default setup is to use NAT for your virtual
machine. So VM Ware should take the packets from your Windows 7 and
route them via your network adapter which connects to the wireless
where it us you are located. I think that in that instance it should
utilize the configuration of your Network Adapter within Linux to surf
the internet, etc within the VM.

Hope that makes some sense!

Gary

Old 06-28-2010, 08:06 AM
"Gordon"

"Tim Hanson" <tjhanson@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I just installed VMWare on my Lucid laptop, and Windows 7 on that.
> **aside**
> The default W7 install creates a user account with root privileges.
> Still! I
> _can't_believe_ those turkeys are still doing that!! **end of aside**

Oh yes. You wouldn't believe the numbers of posts in the new MS forums that
begin "I'm the sole user and administrator of my computer and I can't do
xxxxxxx"!!!!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:23 AM
Tim Hanson

On Monday, June 28, 2010 01:06:05 am Gordon wrote:
> "Tim Hanson" <tjhanson@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
> > I just installed VMWare on my Lucid laptop, and Windows 7 on that.
> > **aside**
> > The default W7 install creates a user account with root privileges.
> > Still! I
> > _can't_believe_ those turkeys are still doing that!! **end of aside**
>
> Oh yes. You wouldn't believe the numbers of posts in the new MS forums that
> begin "I'm the sole user and administrator of my computer and I can't do
> xxxxxxx"!!!!

Maybe he can't do anything with his computer, but every kid in Russia can!