Old 07-16-2008, 09:56 AM
"Zdenek Travnicek"

Default Serial port over ethernet

Hi everyone,

I would like to connect serial port from remote machine to my laptop and use it for PIC programmer. (both machines are running gentoo)
It's easy to tunnel data using nc or similar tool, but it won't give me ioctl access to the port itself. (Or did I miss something?)

Is there any tool/project that exports the whole device and make virtual one on the local side?
I searched google for quite a while but without any success. There are many standalone devices for rs232->ethernet->rs232, but I don't want a standalone device...

I realize it will be slow, but I dont care for lower speeds.

Thanks for any hints and advices

Regards
Zdenek Travnicek

Old 07-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Mittwoch, 16. Juli 2008 schrieb Zdenek Travnicek:

> I would like to connect serial port from remote machine to my laptop and
> use it for PIC programmer. (both machines are running gentoo)
> It's easy to tunnel data using nc or similar tool, but it won't give me
> ioctl access to the port itself. (Or did I miss something?)
> Is there any tool/project that exports the whole device and make virtual
> one on the local side?

I know there's a serial port server tool which allows remote machines to
access the servers serial ports over ethernet, by telnet'ing to a specific
port. We use it at work in the lab, but I'm on vacation right know so I can't
ask what's the name.

Bye...

Dirk

Old 07-16-2008, 01:44 PM
James

Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs <at> online.de> writes:

> Am Mittwoch, 16. Juli 2008 schrieb Zdenek Travnicek:
>
> > I would like to connect serial port from remote machine to my laptop and
> > use it for PIC programmer.

Why can't you just connect the pic programmer into a serial port (on a linux
system near the PIC programmer) and just remotely telnet into the machine
that is serially attached to the pic programmer, and run minicom from
the telnet session?

James

Old 07-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-07-16, Zdenek Travnicek <v154c1@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to connect serial port from remote machine to my
> laptop and use it for PIC programmer. (both machines are
> running gentoo) It's easy to tunnel data using nc or similar
> tool, but it won't give me ioctl access to the port itself.
> (Or did I miss something?) Is there any tool/project that
> exports the whole device and make virtual one on the local
> side?

The implimentations that I've seen for remote serial ports use
a pty on the "master" end. On Linux (and AFAIK BSD), ptys only
support a small subset of the features of a real serial port.
If you need to do things like set parity, set the number of
stop bits, set the character length, or interface to modem
status/control lines you're out of luck.

> I searched google for quite a while but without any success.
> There are many standalone devices for rs232->ethernet->rs232,
> but I don't want a standalone device...
>
> I realize it will be slow, but I dont care for lower speeds.

Speed isn't the problem. The problem is the Linux pty driver.
To impliment a working remote serial port, you have to write a
kernel-mode serial driver -- and that's a lot of work. [Writing
one isn't bad, maintaining one is a complete bitch due to the
way the infrastructure keeps shifting out from under you.] I've
proposed fixing the pty driver to allow it to emulate a real
serial port, but that proposal wasn't well accepted by the
powers-that-be in the Linux kernel world.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! PUNK ROCK!! DISCO
at DUCK!! BIRTH CONTROL!!

Old 07-21-2008, 10:27 PM
"Zdenek Travnicek"

Thanks for all replies
*
The problem is the Linux pty driver.

To impliment a working remote serial port, you have to write a

kernel-mode serial driver -- and that's a lot of work. [Writing

one isn't bad, maintaining one is a complete bitch due to the

way the infrastructure keeps shifting out from under you.] I've

proposed fixing the pty driver to allow it to emulate a real

serial port, but that proposal wasn't well accepted by the

powers-that-be in the Linux kernel world.

I wanted merely save some time and have more comfort during programming PICs.
Writing kernel driver for (emulated) serial port is would take much more time than I can ever save by it.
I will probably try it once I have some spare time anyway )

Until then I stick with programming over ssh ;p

Sincerely
Zdenek Travnicek