Old 07-16-2008, 06:20 AM
Norman Hakim

Default Mounting problem

Hai all,

Is it normal after gentoo installation we have to mount the cdrom or even thumbdrive manually? Actually i'm still having problem until now, i have grouped my user account into cdrom,cdrw,usb,plugdev but i cant automount my cdrom. But if i mount it manually there is no problem at all.

if i type these commands:
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro,user 0 0

the output will be:
bash: /dev/cdrom Permission denied

And also even if type these commands:
/dev/cdrom

the output will be still the same.

I'm out of idea how to make it works. And i more question how do i mount my thumbdrive?

Thank you.

Regards,
Norman

Old 07-16-2008, 06:38 AM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Mittwoch, 16. Juli 2008 schrieb Norman Hakim:

> Is it normal after gentoo installation we have to mount the cdrom or even
> thumbdrive manually? Actually i'm still having problem until now, i have
> grouped my user account into cdrom,cdrw,usb,plugdev but i cant automount my
> cdrom. But if i mount it manually there is no problem at all.

How do you do this, then?

> if i type these commands:
> /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro,user 0 0

This is not a command, it's a line which should be put into /etc/fstab.

> the output will be:
> bash: /dev/cdrom Permission denied

Sure, see above.

> And also even if type these commands:
> /dev/cdrom

dito.

> the output will be still the same.

Yes, see above. First put the line above into /etc/fstab, then
type "mount /mnt/cdrom".

> I'm out of idea how to make it works. And i more question how do i mount my
> thumbdrive?

Just the same. Replace "cdrom" with whatever matches your thumbdrive, examine
output of "dmesg" a few seconds after plugging it in.

HTH...

Dirk

Old 07-16-2008, 07:09 AM
Norman Hakim

NORMAN HAKIM YAHYA

> Am Mittwoch, 16. Juli 2008 schrieb Norman Hakim:
>
> > Is it normal after gentoo installation we have to
> mount the cdrom or even
> > thumbdrive manually? Actually i'm still having
> problem until now, i have
> > grouped my user account into cdrom,cdrw,usb,plugdev
> but i cant automount my
> > cdrom. But if i mount it manually there is no problem
> at all.
>
> How do you do this, then?
>
> > if i type these commands:
> > /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro,user 0 0
>
> This is not a command, it's a line which should be put
> into /etc/fstab.
>
> > the output will be:
> > bash: /dev/cdrom Permission denied
>
> Sure, see above.
>
> > And also even if type these commands:
> > /dev/cdrom
>
> dito.
>
> > the output will be still the same.
>
> Yes, see above. First put the line above into /etc/fstab,
> then
> type "mount /mnt/cdrom".
>
> > I'm out of idea how to make it works. And i more
> question how do i mount my
> > thumbdrive?
>
> Just the same. Replace "cdrom" with whatever
> matches your thumbdrive, examine
> output of "dmesg" a few seconds after plugging it
> in.
>
> HTH...
>
> Dirk

Dear Dirk,

ok, but then how do i put tose lines into /etc/fstab? Actually i'm a newbie to gentoo linux.

Regards,
Norman

Old 07-16-2008, 07:17 AM
Hong Hao

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 12:09:24AM -0700, Norman Hakim wrote:

> NORMAN HAKIM YAHYA

echo "/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro,user 0 0" >> /etc/fstab
or you could fire up your favorite editor.

oahong
--
Hong Hao oahong@gmail.com
/dev/null pgp: 0x37F34C16

Old 07-16-2008, 07:39 AM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Mittwoch, 16. Juli 2008 schrieb Norman Hakim:

> ok, but then how do i put tose lines into /etc/fstab?

By using your favorite text editor. Or with the "echo" command:

echo "/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro,user 0 0" >>/etc/fstab

This will append the line to the file, but be careful, it must be ">>". If you
miss one and type ">" the file will be overwritten and the previous contents
are lost.

> Actually i'm a newbie to gentoo linux.

In this case, it may be a good idea to read through
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html

and, since you did a full quote when replying to my mail, reading
http://learn.to/quote would also be nice.

HTH...

Dirk

Old 07-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 00:09:24 -0700 (PDT), Norman Hakim wrote:

> ok, but then how do i put tose lines into /etc/fstab? Actually i'm a
> newbie to gentoo linux.

You have already edited /etc/fstab during installation, the procedure is
exactly the same.

nano -w /etc/fstab

Which desktop are you using? KDE handles this automatically, for anything
else you should install ivman.

--
Neil Bothwick

Sussh. Be vewwy quiet, I'm hunting tagwines. hahahahah.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:42 AM
Norman Hakim

> Which desktop are you using? KDE handles this
> automatically, for anything
> else you should install ivman.

I'm using GDM.

To Dirk,

I will read the 2 links that u had given and any problems i will let you know.

Thank you.

Regards,
Norman