Old 07-16-2008, 05:31 AM
Josh Cepek

Default no beep in console

Peter Wood wrote:

Hi list,
I have been trying to get the console beep working on 2 laptops (one
with a SIS and one with an Intel sound card). pcspkr is compiled as a
kernel module on both laptops and shows as loaded in lspci
Presumably you mean lsmod. lspci shows you PCI devices (which the PC
speaker usually won't show up as) while lsmod shows you loaded kernel
modules. Running `lsmod | grep pcspkr` should show if the module is
loaded, which is what I suspect you have already verified. udev system
may load the pcspkr module automatically (if it's not user-blacklisted)
or it could be loaded automatically through system configuration.

, but I don't get any beeps either in the text console nor in X. Both
laptops used to run Debian and issued beeps in console mode on double
tab in bash, etc. I did modify any files to disable beeps, and yes I
have unmuted all sound controls. Also tried unloading alsa, but this
did not resolve the issue either. Does anyone know how I can get this
working again?

Thanks,
Peter

You can try installing the app-misc/beep program which sends a beep to
your PC speaker when you call the application `beep` (read the manpage
for all sorts of fun you can have with the pitch and length of the beep
- I've even sent strings of Morse Code with it.) This should tell you
if the problem is a console setting or an issue with the kernel module
or the hardware. I'll also note that different X consoles handle the
beep differently. For example, the Xfce terminal (simply called
"Terminal") won't issue a beep when I backspace at a prompt while
"xterm" will. All of my tty consoles will beep with the pcspkr module
loaded, and I'm running the Gentoo standard agetty with a linux terminal
emulation type for reference.

--
Josh

Old 07-16-2008, 06:41 AM
"Jan Seeger"

At Tue, 15 Jul 2008 23:06:48 -0400,
Peter Wood wrote:

> Hi list,
> I have been trying to get the console beep working on 2 laptops (one
> with a SIS and one with an Intel sound card). pcspkr is compiled as a
> kernel module on both laptops and shows as loaded in lspci, but I don't
> get any beeps either in the text console nor in X.

I have had exactly the same problem, albeit only with an intel hda
codec. The interesting thing is that the beep works only when the
sound is deactivated (power saving mode on hda chip), so I think it
has something to do with the hardware.

> Both laptops used to run Debian and issued beeps in console mode on
> double tab in bash, etc. I did modify any files to disable beeps,
> and yes I have unmuted all sound controls.

Now that doesn't fit my theory. But hope this helps anyway.
Regards,
Jan

--
Four bits at a time
www.thenybble.de

Old 07-17-2008, 01:16 AM
Peter Wood

Jan Seeger wrote:

I have had exactly the same problem, albeit only with an intel hda
codec. The interesting thing is that the beep works only when the
sound is deactivated (power saving mode on hda chip), so I think it
has something to do with the hardware.

In case others experience a similar problem:
I got it working modifying the options line in /etc/modules.d/alsa. It
now reads:

options snd-hda-intel model=auto power_save=1 power_save_controller=on.
Best,
Peter