-   -   no beep in console (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/125609-no-beep-console.html)

Peter Wood 07-16-2008 03:06 AM

no beep in console

Hi list,
I have been trying to get the console beep working on 2 laptops (one
with a SIS and one with an Intel sound card). pcspkr is compiled as a
kernel module on both laptops and shows as loaded in lspci, but I don't
get any beeps either in the text console nor in X. Both laptops used to
run Debian and issued beeps in console mode on double tab in bash, etc.
I did modify any files to disable beeps, and yes I have unmuted all
sound controls. Also tried unloading alsa, but this did not resolve the
issue either. Does anyone know how I can get this working again?

Thanks,
Peter