Old 07-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Michael Pobega

Default Mail on multiple laptops

I've always had just one laptop so I've been a POP user for years now,
but I'm finally buying a second laptop for travels (Asus Eee PC) and I
was wondering what gentoo-user would recommend as a good way to keep the
mail synced on both of my machines.

I was looking into IMAP but I can't really figure out how it works, and
Google doesn't offer IMAP, and I'd like to keep this e-mail address. Can
anyone make any suggestions?

--
If programmers deserve to be rewarded for creating innovative
programs, by the same token they deserve to be punished if they

Old 07-15-2008, 01:13 PM
"Daniel Pielmeier"

2008/7/15, Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com>:
> I've always had just one laptop so I've been a POP user for years now,
> but I'm finally buying a second laptop for travels (Asus Eee PC) and I
> was wondering what gentoo-user would recommend as a good way to keep the
> mail synced on both of my machines.
>
> I was looking into IMAP but I can't really figure out how it works, and
> Google doesn't offer IMAP, and I'd like to keep this e-mail address. Can
> anyone make any suggestions?

IMAP is possible with gmail!

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=75725

Old 07-15-2008, 02:11 PM
"James"

On Tue, July 15, 2008 9:05 am, Michael Pobega wrote:
> I've always had just one laptop so I've been a POP user for years now,
> but I'm finally buying a second laptop for travels (Asus Eee PC) and I was
> wondering what gentoo-user would recommend as a good way to keep the mail
> synced on both of my machines.
>
> I was looking into IMAP but I can't really figure out how it works, and
> Google doesn't offer IMAP, and I'd like to keep this e-mail address. Can
> anyone make any suggestions?

You could get a small external drive.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Michael Higgins

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:11:08 -0400 (EDT)
"James" <bjlockie@lockie.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, July 15, 2008 9:05 am, Michael Pobega wrote:
> > I've always had just one laptop so I've been a POP user for years
> > now, but I'm finally buying a second laptop for travels (Asus Eee
> > PC) and I was wondering what gentoo-user would recommend as a good
> > way to keep the mail synced on both of my machines.

IMAP++

> > I was looking into IMAP but I can't really figure out how it works,
> > and Google doesn't offer IMAP, and I'd like to keep this e-mail
> > address. Can anyone make any suggestions?

I've had some luck with unison. Just sync to a common storage before
and after using your laptops.

Good luck.

Cheers,

--
| /| | | ~ ~
| / | |---| `|` ?
| |ichael | |iggins ^ /
michael.higgins[at]evolone[dot]org

Old 07-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Nicolai Beuermann

Michael Pobega wrote:
> recommend as a good way to keep the
> mail synced on both of my machines.
I would definitely recommend IMAP. With laptops you should use disconnected
IMAP - you wont be online all the time you turn on your laptop. You got all
your emails as a copy on each of your IMAP clients. Anytime you're online you
may synchronize to the server.

> I was looking into IMAP but I can't really figure out how it works
Maybe one can compare it with a simple remote filesystem.

--
mailto: nicolai.beuermann@gmx.de
http://www.nico-beuermann.de

Old 07-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-07-15, Nicolai Beuermann <Nicolai.Beuermann@gmx.de> wrote:

>> I was looking into IMAP but I can't really figure out how it works
>
> Maybe one can compare it with a simple remote filesystem.

With a few database features thrown in.

With IMAP, you can create folders on the server and leave all
your mail there. That way you can get to it with any IMAP
client on any machine. Most ISPs (and Gmail) offer web access
as well.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm wet! I'm wild!
at

Old 07-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-07-15, Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2008/7/15, Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com>:
>> I've always had just one laptop so I've been a POP user for years now,
>> but I'm finally buying a second laptop for travels (Asus Eee PC) and I
>> was wondering what gentoo-user would recommend as a good way to keep the
>> mail synced on both of my machines.
>>
>> I was looking into IMAP but I can't really figure out how it works, and
>> Google doesn't offer IMAP, and I'd like to keep this e-mail address. Can
>> anyone make any suggestions?
>>

> IMAP is possible with gmail!
>
> http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=75725

Not only is it possible, it works very nicely. With 6GB of
stoarge for free, you just leave all your mail on the server.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Look into my eyes and
at try to forget that you have

Old 07-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Michael Pobega

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 08:00:22AM -0700, Michael Higgins wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:11:08 -0400 (EDT)
> "James" <bjlockie@lockie.ca> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, July 15, 2008 9:05 am, Michael Pobega wrote:
> > > I've always had just one laptop so I've been a POP user for years
> > > now, but I'm finally buying a second laptop for travels (Asus Eee
> > > PC) and I was wondering what gentoo-user would recommend as a good
> > > way to keep the mail synced on both of my machines.
>
> IMAP++

Can I use procmail with IMAP or is that not possible? And how do I
configure Mutt to use download/sync IMAP?

Old 07-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Michael Pobega

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 03:25:58PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2008-07-15, Nicolai Beuermann <Nicolai.Beuermann@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> >> I was looking into IMAP but I can't really figure out how it works
> >
> > Maybe one can compare it with a simple remote filesystem.
>
> With a few database features thrown in.
>
> With IMAP, you can create folders on the server and leave all
> your mail there. That way you can get to it with any IMAP
> client on any machine. Most ISPs (and Gmail) offer web access
> as well.

One problem I find is that switching from folder to folder takes a long
time ... Sometimes the cache saves, but other times it needs to reread
all 54,000 emails, and that takes quite a while. Is there a better
method of accessing my folders to speed this up?

Old 07-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-07-15, Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 08:00:22AM -0700, Michael Higgins wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:11:08 -0400 (EDT)

> Can I use procmail with IMAP or is that not possible?

That depends. My ISP allows me to run my mail through procmail
on the IMAP server. Gmail doesn't allow that, so you'd have to
set up a cron job to read mail from the inbox, run it through
procmail, and then store it back into folders on the IMAP server.

> And how do I configure Mutt to use download/sync IMAP?

Mutt isn't really intended to "download/sync IMAP" (I presume
you're referring to offline usage). Mutt is intended to be
used online -- to be connected to an IMAP server while you're
using it.

The whole point of IMAP is that you don't download all your
mail. You leave it on the server. I've read about MUAs who
are supposed to maintain a local mirror of all of the mail and
sync it periodically with the server, but I've never met
anybody who actually uses IMAP that way.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I represent a
at sardine!!