Old 07-15-2008, 05:31 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

Default No progress indicator in bootsplash

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
I emerged media-gfx/splashutils-1.5.4.1 (plus
media-gfx/splash-themes-gentoo-20050429). I'm on kernel
2.6.24-gentoo-r8

Oops, out of habit. I upgraded a few days ago to 2.6.25-gentoo-r6, so
that's what I use now.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:07 AM
Sebastian Günther

* Nikos Chantziaras (realnc@arcor.de) [15.07.08 07:28]:

> I've created an initrd with:
>
> splash_geninitramfs -g /boot/initrd.splash1280x1024 -r 1280x1024 gentoo

^^^^^^

> The splash shows up, but there's no animation in the progress indicator bar

Does it indicate any progress? If you see a growing bar: works as
designed.

> and no splash messages (like the live CD has).
Works as designed.

> (Fade-in and fade-out works though).
>
> Did I miss something?

Yes, you want to actually try out the livecd splash-screen:

# emerge media-gfx/splash-themes-livecd

and then buikd a new initrd.

HTH
Sebastian

--
" Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx

SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@guenther-roetgen.de

Old 07-15-2008, 08:04 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

Sebastian Günther wrote:

* Nikos Chantziaras (realnc@arcor.de) [15.07.08 07:28]:

I've created an initrd with:

splash_geninitramfs -g /boot/initrd.splash1280x1024 -r 1280x1024 gentoo

^^^^^^

The splash shows up, but there's no animation in the progress indicator bar

Does it indicate any progress? If you see a growing bar: works as
designed.

There is no growing bar. That's not as designed It's me doing
probably something wrong. The bar is there, but it stays empty (does
not fill up).

and no splash messages (like the live CD has).

Works as designed.

(Fade-in and fade-out works though).

Did I miss something?

Yes, you want to actually try out the livecd splash-screen:

# emerge media-gfx/splash-themes-livecd

and then buikd a new initrd.

I've done that, same result. The progress bar stays empty. There is no
animation. No messages (like the percentage indicator and things like
"GPM started").

I've followed this guide: http://gentoo-wiki.com/Fbsplash

Old 07-15-2008, 07:37 PM
"Canek Peláez Valdés"

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 12:27 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/sdc1
> video=uvesafb:1280x1024-32,mtrr:3,ywrap
> splash=silent,fadein,fadeout,theme:gentoo console=tty1 BOOT_MSG="Cool, huh?"
> softlevel=native

In my experience, if you user custom messages (like your "Cool,
huh?"), the progress bar disappears. The same happened to me if I
edited the keywords SPLASH_BOOT_MESSAGE, SPLASH_REBOOT_MESSAGE and
SPLASH_SHUTDOWN_MESSAGE in /etc/conf.d/splash.

Hope it helps.
Canek
--
Fred Allen - "Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."

Old 07-16-2008, 01:01 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/sdc1
video=uvesafb:1280x1024-32,mtrr:3,ywrap
splash=silent,fadein,fadeout,theme:gentoo console=tty1 BOOT_MSG="Cool, huh?"
softlevel=native

In my experience, if you user custom messages (like your "Cool,
huh?"), the progress bar disappears. The same happened to me if I
edited the keywords SPLASH_BOOT_MESSAGE, SPLASH_REBOOT_MESSAGE and
SPLASH_SHUTDOWN_MESSAGE in /etc/conf.d/splash.

I've removed BOOT_MSG. Still no go. It says "Initializing the kernel"
and nothing else happens.

One thing I noticed is that:

splash_geninitramfs -g /boot/splash1280x1024 -r 1280x1024 livecd-2007.0

only includes the JPEG images in the initrd image. Things like
"icons/apmd_started.png", "icons/sysklogd_started.png", etc, are not
included. I've included them manually (-o /etc/splash/livecd-2007.0)
but still no go; the splash remains static

Old 07-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Sebastian Günther

* Nikos Chantziaras (realnc@arcor.de) [16.07.08 15:02]:
> I've removed BOOT_MSG. Still no go. It says "Initializing the kernel" and
> nothing else happens.
>
> One thing I noticed is that:
>
> splash_geninitramfs -g /boot/splash1280x1024 -r 1280x1024 livecd-2007.0
>
> only includes the JPEG images in the initrd image. Things like
> "icons/apmd_started.png", "icons/sysklogd_started.png", etc, are not
> included. I've included them manually (-o /etc/splash/livecd-2007.0) but
> still no go; the splash remains static

The icons are *not* needed in the initrd, they are used *after* the
rootfs is mounted, so they can be accessed right in time.

Please post your /etc/conf.d/splash, /etc/conf.d/fbcondecor and what
# ls -l /etc/splash
and
# eselect rc list |grep fbcondecor
are returning.

Sebastian

Old 07-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Sebastian Günther wrote:

* Nikos Chantziaras (realnc@arcor.de) [16.07.08 15:02]:
I've removed BOOT_MSG. Still no go. It says "Initializing the kernel" and
nothing else happens.

One thing I noticed is that:

splash_geninitramfs -g /boot/splash1280x1024 -r 1280x1024 livecd-2007.0

only includes the JPEG images in the initrd image. Things like
"icons/apmd_started.png", "icons/sysklogd_started.png", etc, are not
included. I've included them manually (-o /etc/splash/livecd-2007.0) but
still no go; the splash remains static

The icons are *not* needed in the initrd, they are used *after* the
rootfs is mounted, so they can be accessed right in time.

Yeah, I only tried that in an attempt at shotgun-debugging :P

Please post your /etc/conf.d/splash, /etc/conf.d/fbcondecor

Thanks for helping in tracking down this issue. Here's /etc/conf.d/splash:

SPLASH_VERBOSE_ON_ERRORS="no"
SPLASH_EFFECTS="fadein,fadeout"
SPLASH_TEXTBOX="no"
SPLASH_AUTOVERBOSE="0"

In /etc/conf.d/fbcondecor everything is commented out.

and what
# ls -l /etc/splash

drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2008-07-14 16:06 emergence
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2008-07-14 16:06 gentoo
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 2008-07-15 10:52 livecd-2007.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 66372 2008-07-14 16:06 luxisri.ttf

and
# eselect rc list |grep fbcondecor

fbcondecor boot

(Note that I had to rc-update fbcondecor into boot by hand. The ebuild
did not do this and also didn't mention the existence of the script at
all. The only thing mentioned is there was a change from some older
splash version which doesn't say much for 1st time users like me.)

Meanwhile I switched from uvesafb to the old vesafb to see if it has
something to do with it. Same result. I also re-emerged klibc and
splashutils. No go.

(The kernel has "[*] Support for the Framebuffer Console Decorations"
enabled.)

Package versions:

sys-devel/gcc (~)4.3.1-r1
media-gfx/splashutils (~)1.5.4.1 (1st try)
media-gfx/splashutils 1.5.3.4 (2nd try)
dev-libs/klibc 1.5.8 (1st try)
dev-libs/klibc (~)1.5.12-r1 (2nd try)
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources 2.6.25-r6 (1st try)
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources 2.6.24-r8 (2nd try)

I hope this won't turn out to be a GCC 4.3 issue :P I will emerge gcc
4.1.2 and try again with that.

I'm on AMD64 (if this is relevant.)

Old 07-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Sebastian Günther

* Nikos Chantziaras (realnc@arcor.de) [16.07.08 17:55]:
> Sebastian Günther wrote:
>> * Nikos Chantziaras (realnc@arcor.de) [16.07.08 15:02]:
>
> Thanks for helping in tracking down this issue. Here's /etc/conf.d/splash:
>
> SPLASH_VERBOSE_ON_ERRORS="no"
try turning this to yes, maybe there are some error messages that are
missed.

> SPLASH_EFFECTS="fadein,fadeout"
> SPLASH_TEXTBOX="no"
> SPLASH_AUTOVERBOSE="0"

Same with me.

> In /etc/conf.d/fbcondecor everything is commented out.
>

>> and what
>> # ls -l /etc/splash
>
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2008-07-14 16:06 emergence
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2008-07-14 16:06 gentoo
> drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 2008-07-15 10:52 livecd-2007.0
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 66372 2008-07-14 16:06 luxisri.ttf

Seems OK.

>> and
>> # eselect rc list |grep fbcondecor
>
> fbcondecor boot
>
> (Note that I had to rc-update fbcondecor into boot by hand. The ebuild did
> not do this and also didn't mention the existence of the script at all.
> The only thing mentioned is there was a change from some older splash
> version which doesn't say much for 1st time users like me.)

I have it in boot and default runlevel. Try that.

> Meanwhile I switched from uvesafb to the old vesafb to see if it has
> something to do with it. Same result. I also re-emerged klibc and
> splashutils. No go.

As I assume you have v86d installed. Try the fbcondecor in default
runlevel.

Sebastian

Old 07-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Sebastian Günther wrote:

* Nikos Chantziaras (realnc@arcor.de) [16.07.08 15:02]:

Thanks for helping in tracking down this issue. Here's /etc/conf.d/splash:

SPLASH_VERBOSE_ON_ERRORS="no"
try turning this to yes, maybe there are some error messages that are
missed.

I went back to troubleshoot this. I *must* have been blind; during the
INIT stage, there was a warning that /dev/tty1 is missing (/dev gets
mounted too late for fbcondecor to access it). I've created it manually
(mknod tty1 c 4 1) and it works now :P