Old 07-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Allan Gottlieb

Default trouble with alsasound

I have not been able to get alsasound working on my gentoo-gnome
system.

I followed the gentoo guide and did make progress.
From the main (foot) menu, system --> preference --> sound
produces a dialog box with three tabs.

The first tab is devices. They are all set to autodetect and when I
press test on the three playback devices, I do hear sound.

The second tab is sounds. When I click on any of the "Play" boxes
*no* sound is produced. The corresponding files are present and I
am in the audio group.

The machine is a dell optiplex 845. Lspci shows
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family)
HD Audio Controller (rev 02)

I have the following kernel options set

#
# Sound
#
CONFIG_SOUND=m

#
# Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
#
CONFIG_SND=m
CONFIG_SND_TIMER=m
CONFIG_SND_PCM=m
CONFIG_SND_HWDEP=m
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER=m
CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=m
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=m

#
# PCI devices
#
CONFIG_SND_HDA_INTEL=m
CONFIG_SND_HDA_HWDEP=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_ANALOG=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_SIGMATEL=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_VIA=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_ATIHDMI=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CONEXANT=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CMEDIA=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_SI3054=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_GENERIC=y

Any advice/help would be appreciated
thanks,
allan

Old 07-14-2008, 10:00 PM
"Andrew Tchernoivanov"

>The first tab is devices. *They are all set to autodetect and when I

>press test on the three playback devices, I do hear sound.

>The second tab is sounds. *When I click on any of the "Play" boxes

>*no* sound is produced. *The corresponding files are present and I

>am in the audio group.

I have the same problem, but I didn't install gnome-audio package (I just don't need system sounds). Try to test sounds
using Applications -> Sound&Video -> MoviePlayer. *

I have not been able to get alsasound working on my gentoo-gnome

system.

I followed the gentoo guide and did make progress.

From the main (foot) menu, *system --> preference --> sound

Old 07-15-2008, 12:13 AM
Allan Gottlieb

At Tue, 15 Jul 2008 02:00:08 +0400 Andrew Tchernoivanov <tchernoivanov@gmail.com> wrote:

>>The first tab is devices. They are all set to autodetect and when I
>>press test on the three playback devices, I do hear sound.
>>
>>The second tab is sounds. When I click on any of the "Play" boxes
>>*no* sound is produced. The corresponding files are present and I
>>am in the audio group.
>
> I have the same problem, but I didn't install gnome-audio package (I just
> don't need system sounds). Try to test sounds
> using Applications -> Sound&Video -> MoviePlayer.

I don't have any movies so I tried CD-player and the only thing it can
do is eject the cd. It doesn't even list the tracks.

So it seems I have 2 problems. Unable to play system sounds and
inability to recognize audio CDs

The physical cd drive (actually DVD+-RW) does work. If I place a data
disk in, I can mount it.

thanks for your help,
allan