Old 07-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Florian Philipp

Default Uwe Thiem

Old 07-14-2008, 10:23 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:53:35 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> It's a sad day for me today. Uwe Thiem, who has been on this list
> longer than I have, passed away on Friday.

A sad day indeed. Uwe also owed me a Namibian beer, but I will raise a
glass of the local brew to him and his memory.

--
Neil Bothwick

Where the system is concerned, you're not allowed to ask `Why?'

Old 07-14-2008, 10:54 PM
»Q«

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's a sad day for me today. Uwe Thiem, who has been on this list
> longer than I have, passed away on Friday. My friend Alastair put up
> a little tribute here:
>
> http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2574
>
> What that page doesn't say is how much Uwe loved gentoo. A long-time
> subscriber around here, his posts must number in the 100s if not
> 1000s. I'm gonna miss him, even though he lived only 1000km away (a
> trivial distance in Africa) I never did get to collect that pitcher
> of Namibia's finest he owed me. I guess now I never will.

I'm saddened to read this. I've benefited greatly from his posts here
as well as his work with KDE, as have a lot of others.

--
»Q«
Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:57 AM
"Mark Knecht"

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 3:23 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:53:35 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
>> It's a sad day for me today. Uwe Thiem, who has been on this list
>> longer than I have, passed away on Friday.
>
> A sad day indeed. Uwe also owed me a Namibian beer, but I will raise a
> glass of the local brew to him and his memory.
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick
>
> Where the system is concerned, you're not allowed to ask `Why?'

Neil,
Thanks for letting us know. That's really terrible news. He was a
great contributor and always pleasant in his communication. I will
miss him.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 07-15-2008, 05:31 AM
Dale

Alan McKinnon wrote:
It's a sad day for me today. Uwe Thiem, who has been on this list longer
than I have, passed away on Friday. My friend Alastair put up a little
tribute here:

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2574

What that page doesn't say is how much Uwe loved gentoo. A long-time
subscriber around here, his posts must number in the 100s if not 1000s.
I'm gonna miss him, even though he lived only 1000km away (a trivial
distance in Africa) I never did get to collect that pitcher of
Namibia's finest he owed me. I guess now I never will.

Does anybody know what the cause of death was? Did he have cancer,
heart attack or something?

Thanks

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 07-15-2008, 07:07 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 00:31:51 -0500, Dale wrote:

> Does anybody know what the cause of death was?

Kidney failure, apparently. According to
http://www.linux.org.na/index.php/topic,246.0.html he had been ill for a
while.

A sad loss whatever the cause.

--
Neil Bothwick

Old 07-15-2008, 07:21 AM
Daniel Iliev

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:53:35 +0200
Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's a sad day for me today. Uwe Thiem, who has been on this list
> longer than I have, passed away on Friday. My friend Alastair put up
> a little tribute here:
>
> http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2574
>
> What that page doesn't say is how much Uwe loved gentoo. A long-time
> subscriber around here, his posts must number in the 100s if not
> 1000s. I'm gonna miss him, even though he lived only 1000km away (a
> trivial distance in Africa) I never did get to collect that pitcher
> of Namibia's finest he owed me. I guess now I never will.

Terrible news

May he rest in peace.

--
Best regards,
Daniel

Old 07-15-2008, 07:29 AM
Dale

Neil Bothwick wrote:

Does anybody know what the cause of death was?

Kidney failure, apparently. According to
http://www.linux.org.na/index.php/topic,246.0.html he had been ill for a
while.

A sad loss whatever the cause.

I notice the site said he was ill for a while so I figured he had cancer
or something like that. Kidney failure is not good either.

It is a sad loss for sure.

Dale

Old 07-15-2008, 07:46 AM
Chris Walters

Daniel Iliev wrote:

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:53:35 +0200
It's a sad day for me today. Uwe Thiem, who has been on this list
longer than I have, passed away on Friday. My friend Alastair put up
a little tribute here:

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2574

What that page doesn't say is how much Uwe loved gentoo. A long-time
subscriber around here, his posts must number in the 100s if not

1000s. I'm gonna miss him, even though he lived only 1000km away (a
trivial distance in Africa) I never did get to collect that pitcher
of Namibia's finest he owed me. I guess now I never will.

Terrible news

May he rest in peace.

Sad, sad news. I hardly knew him, but I did know of him through his posts. He
has many mourning his passing. A testament to how close our community is.

I echo the sentiment, may he rest in peace.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Philip Webb

080714 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Uwe Thiem passed away on Friday.

He will no doubt be remembered by many others,
but survives also in my commonplace book of sayings :

Uwe Thiem [Gentoo User 080119] : "He hit the nail on the finger".

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@chass.utoronto.ca
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto