Old 07-14-2008, 11:40 AM
Eric Martin

Default Good Library Management software

Before I recreated the wheel, does anybody know of any good library
management software (preferably in portage)? My wife and I are having a
hard time keeping track of what books we have, and what books we are
lending out to people so I figured this would be a good way to keep
track. Since it's for personal use it doesn't have to be anything big.
Preferably backended by MySQL as I already have a server running for
MythTV and Amarok.

I did a few eix searches for portage and came up empty handed, and
sourceforge.net has a ton of stuff but I was wondering what other people
use.

Thanks!
--
Eric Martin
Key fingerprint = D1C4 086E DBB5 C18E 6FDA B215 6A25 7174 A941 3B9F

Old 07-14-2008, 12:06 PM
CJoeB

Eric Martin wrote:
Before I recreated the wheel, does anybody know of any good library
management software (preferably in portage)? My wife and I are having
a hard time keeping track of what books we have, and what books we are
lending out to people so I figured this would be a good way to keep
track. Since it's for personal use it doesn't have to be anything
big. Preferably backended by MySQL as I already have a server running
for MythTV and Amarok.

I did a few eix searches for portage and came up empty handed, and
sourceforge.net has a ton of stuff but I was wondering what other
people use.

Have you heard of Tellico. It's a collection manager that can be used
for books, music, video ... whatever. It allows you to enter the name
of the book, a graphic if you have one, rate the book and indicate
whether or not it's a gift, how much you paid for it and if you have
lent it out. It *is* in Portage.

Some information:

http://periapsis.org/tellico/

Regards,

Colleen

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Old 07-14-2008, 03:06 PM
Joshua D Doll

Eric Martin wrote:
Before I recreated the wheel, does anybody know of any good library
management software (preferably in portage)? My wife and I are having
a hard time keeping track of what books we have, and what books we are
lending out to people so I figured this would be a good way to keep
track. Since it's for personal use it doesn't have to be anything
big. Preferably backended by MySQL as I already have a server running
for MythTV and Amarok.

I did a few eix searches for portage and came up empty handed, and
sourceforge.net has a ton of stuff but I was wondering what other
people use.

Thanks!

Have you looked at alexandria? http://alexandria.rubyforge.org/index.html.

--Joshua Doll

Old 07-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Aaron Clark

Joshua D Doll wrote:

Eric Martin wrote:
Before I recreated the wheel, does anybody know of any good library
management software (preferably in portage)? My wife and I are having
a hard time keeping track of what books we have, and what books we are
lending out to people so I figured this would be a good way to keep
track. Since it's for personal use it doesn't have to be anything
big. Preferably backended by MySQL as I already have a server running
for MythTV and Amarok.

I did a few eix searches for portage and came up empty handed, and
sourceforge.net has a ton of stuff but I was wondering what other
people use.

Thanks!

Have you looked at alexandria? http://alexandria.rubyforge.org/index.html.

--Joshua Doll

I'll second the suggestion of Alexandria for desktop usage but I would
note that the latest stable version in Portage is extremely old. I
would suggest using 0.6.3 (the latest upstream release, ~amd64 & ~x86 in
portage).

If you want something more involved (like a real Library would use), you
could look into Koha[1] and/or Evergreen[2] as web apps but
unfortunately neither is in Portage.

Aaron

[1] http://www.koha.org/
[2] http://www.open-ils.org/

Old 07-16-2008, 04:48 PM
Eric Martin

CJoeB wrote:

Eric Martin wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all who replied! Of course my homework load just doubled so
this will have to wait a while before I take on any more projects but
such is life.

--
Eric Martin
PGP fingerprint = D1C4 086E DBB5 C18E 6FDA B215 6A25 7174 A941 3B9F

Old 07-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Stroller

[...]

The screenshots of this look really nice, however to me this seems
like a really odd motivation for writing a program:

I started developing it when I couldn't find a personal database
program for KDE which didn't using a SQL backend.

What's wrong with an SQL backend that needs you to re-invent the
wheel? I'm not saying there's a better collection manager out there,
or that the author's in the wrong for doing it the way he has. But it
just seems a little odd, and I'd love for him to explain his reasons
more fully.

Stroller.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:59 AM
"Dirk Uys"

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 9:49 PM, Stroller
<stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> The screenshots of this look really nice, however to me this seems like a
> really odd motivation for writing a program:
>
> I started developing it when I couldn't find a personal database
> program for KDE which didn't using a SQL backend.
>
> What's wrong with an SQL backend that needs you to re-invent the wheel? I'm
> not saying there's a better collection manager out there, or that the
> author's in the wrong for doing it the way he has. But it just seems a
> little odd, and I'd love for him to explain his reasons more fully.
>
> Stroller.

I personally have a problem running a SQL server just so that some app
that I use every now and then can store its data. I don't print that
often, so why would I have the CUPS daemon running 24/7 when I print a
page once every two weeks?

Other than that there is also the added complexity to the
installation. You have to create a user in the database, create the
database and grant the user all the needed permission to that specific
database.

And what if one app prefers mySQL and another one postgreSQL? Now I
need to run two database servers that will be quite capable to fill
the data needs of two small businesses just because I want to use a
music player and a library utility for my ~50 books laying around.

The app should at least give you the option to use somethings else like SQLlite.

But, that is just my viewpoint and I felt like I had to defend the
developers motivation.

Regards
Dirk

Old 07-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Eric Martin

Stroller wrote:

[...]

Agreed. Before I found anything that totally suited my needs I was
going to go LAMP all the way. Why reinvent the wheel is one of the
greatest questions of all.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Eric Martin

Dirk Uys wrote:

[...]

While I agree with most of what you say, I agree the most with this.
Personally I run a MySQL server for school, Amarok, Krecipes, Mythtv and
whatever I'm playing with.

The app should at least give you the option to use somethings else like SQLlite.

Definitely a plus of Amarok, lets you choose what backend you want to
use (including sqllite)

Old 07-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Stroller

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 9:49 PM, Stroller
The screenshots of this look really nice, however to me this seems
like a

really odd motivation for writing a program:

I started developing it when I couldn't find a personal database
program for KDE which didn't using a SQL backend.

What's wrong with an SQL backend that needs you to re-invent the
wheel?

I don't print that
often, so why would I have the CUPS daemon running 24/7 when I print a
page once every two weeks?

There's probably no cost to having the CUPS daemon running 24/7 - it
starts up, the o/s sticks it in virtual memory when it sees you're
not using it and then reloads it to RAM when you do.

Other than that there is also the added complexity to the
installation. You have to create a user in the database, create the
database and grant the user all the needed permission to that specific
database.

Well, ideally the distro should handle all of this. Or have a "setup
manager" app.

And what if one app prefers mySQL and another one postgreSQL?

Agreed. This pisses me off no end. I'll bet the two are a pain to
manage side-by-side on the same machine.

The app should at least give you the option to use somethings else
like SQLlite.

Well, I have to say I was suspicious of Tellico's choice of XML flat-
files, when this option is available to it, too.

But, that is just my viewpoint and I felt like I had to defend the
developers motivation.

You don't need to defend your viewpoint at all. I mean, it looks like
a great app, so I'm not criticising it. It just seems odd, os all,
that he cites reluctance to use an SQL backend as his main reason for
developing the app, then doesn't explain further why he thinks that's
a problem or why his way is better. True, it makes a big difference
to setup, but I would have thought there were loads of features that
would be more obvious during the end-user experience that would
better distinguish an app.

Stroller.