Old 07-13-2008, 11:10 PM
»Q«

Default USE flag question

A few days ago, I used eselect to switch profiles, from
default-linux/x86/2007.0/desktop to default/linux/x86/2008.0/desktop.

A lot of USE flags were removed from my make.conf, including
the cpu-optimizations such as sse and mmx. After re-compiling a few
things and getting warnings from the ebuilds that video and audio
playback would be choppy without those flags, I put them back into my
flags in make.conf. If I use ufed to manage the flags, as I'm used to
doing, it takes them back out when I save changes.

It seems strange to me that the profile switch should affect these
flags. I think I'm overlooking/misunderstanding something, but I'm
not sure what to ask. Any enlightenment (including links to
enlightenment) would be appreciated.

--
»Q«
Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:29 AM
Sebastian Günther

* »Q« (boxcars@gmx.net) [14.07.08 01:16]:
> A few days ago, I used eselect to switch profiles, from
> default-linux/x86/2007.0/desktop to default/linux/x86/2008.0/desktop.

As I did...

> A lot of USE flags were removed from my make.conf, including
> the cpu-optimizations such as sse and mmx. After re-compiling a few
> things and getting warnings from the ebuilds that video and audio
> playback would be choppy without those flags, I put them back into my
> flags in make.conf. If I use ufed to manage the flags, as I'm used to
> doing, it takes them back out when I save changes.

ufed is the bad guy, I think the stable version is not able to handle
the new profile layout correctly.

> It seems strange to me that the profile switch should affect these
> flags. I think I'm overlooking/misunderstanding something, but I'm
> not sure what to ask. Any enlightenment (including links to
> enlightenment) would be appreciated.

Use ufed-0.40-r10 from ~ and your use flags are not getting removed.

HTH
Sebastian

--
" Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx

SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@guenther-roetgen.de