Old 07-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Mick

Default OK

On Sunday 13 July 2008, felix@crowfix.com wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 10:40:08AM -0700, maxim wexler wrote:
> > I would like to raise my voice against the use of overly long subject
> > lines that run out of space on the line provided.
> >
> > Complete sentences are not necessary. A few, well chosen words should
> > suffice and spare the user the nuisance of opening mail that ultimately
> > is of no value to him.
>
> Under what circumstances does too much info hurt? It's not like a PhD
> thesis, it's just, say, 10 words instead of 2 or 3.

Sorry! Couldn't resist. ;-)

I had a guy working for me who used to write the whole bl**dy email in the
frigging Subject: field! Arrrrgh! When I asked him why didn't he use the
body of the message like 'normal' people do, he argued that he intended
saving me the time of opening the message to read it. Sometimes you just
can't win.

Anyway, as others asked - how long is too long for this purpose?

Mick

Old 07-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 13 July 2008, Mick wrote:
> Anyway, as others asked - how long is too long for this purpose?

for obvious reasons, anything longer than 80 characters

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 07-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Willie Wong

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 07:11:05PM +0200, Penguin Lover Alan McKinnon squawked:
> On Sunday 13 July 2008, Mick wrote:
> > Anyway, as others asked - how long is too long for this purpose?
>
> for obvious reasons, anything longer than 80 characters

Just to be pedantic:

Remember that the mailing list prepends the list name, so I think it
ought to be

80 - strlen("[gentoo-user] ") = 66 chars.

And if you care about most console mail readers, take mutt for
example, the default install definitely does not use more than half of
the 80 chars screen width for displaying the subject line. So now you
are down to 40 - 14 = 26.

Oh wait, your question may incite a big discussion with 6 levels of
replies:

26 - 6 * strlen("Re: ") = 2.

Ah! I see why someone changed the subject of this thread to just "OK".

;-)

Pillage before you burn.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 584 days, 16:39

Old 12-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Vitaliy Berdinskikh

В Mon, 28 Dec 2009 23:22:11 +0200

--