Old 07-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Mikko Husari

Default Simplistic bash-script to manage package.use

greetings earthlings,

i did not found (nor did i look for long enough) any tools/scripts to
easily manage package.use file, so i did my own. now i started to think
that, if there really is not any, my creation would be sufficient
(although possibly buggy) for most users who wish to have "easy" control
over package.use.

yes, i know this is not the best place to "announce" but, this is not an
real announcement, this is an query for an superior solution which would
show my creation to be useless/dublicate/stupid. (if mine is
useless/stupid it would be nice, so i would not have to maintain it and
i also could use some real software).

-- husku
#!/bin/bash

# This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
# the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.

# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the

# along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

UF="package.use"
if [[ -z $1 ]]; then
echo "guse.sh pkgspec [flag modifiers]"
echo " - list use-flags for package by leaving the modifiers out"
echo " - this little script fondles your package.use"
echo " - by using double-dash (--) you are doomed back to default"
echo "example:"
echo " guse.sh kopete qq privacy -yahoo -msn jabber --highlight"
echo
exit
fi
[[ -n $1 ]] && ROWS=`grep $1 $UF` && HITS=`echo "${ROWS}"|wc -l`
[[ $HITS -gt 1 ]] && echo "Duplicates" && echo "$ROWS" && exit

# search from portage
[[ $HITS -lt 1 ]] && OLD=`emerge --nospinner -s ${1}|grep *|awk '{print $2}'`
&& HITS=`echo "${OLD}"|wc -l` && NEWATOM="yes"

if [[ $HITS -gt 1 ]]; then
echo "All Candidates:"
echo "${OLD}"
exit
elif [[ $HITS -lt 1 ]]; then
echo Package atom not found
exit
else
if [[ -n $NEWATOM ]]; then
if [[ -n $2 ]]; then
for a; do
NEW="$NEW $a"
done
echo new: ${NEW:0}
echo ${NEW:0} >> $UF
else
equery uses $1
fi
else
OLD="${ROWS}";
OLD_sed=`echo "${OLD}"|sed 's/ / /g'`
OLD_sed=`echo "${OLD_sed}"|sed 's///\//g'`
ORIG_sed=$OLD_sed
if [[ -z $2 ]]; then
equery uses $1
echo Your custom Set:
echo $OLD
exit
fi
for a; do
loops=$(( $loops+1 ));
if [[ loops -gt 1 ]]; then
if [[ -n $a ]]; then
[[ `equery uses $1|grep ${a:1}|wc -l` -lt 1 ]] && echo Typo: $a Does not exists && exit
if [[ ${a:0:1} == "-" && $OLD =~ " "${a:1} ]]; then

if [[ ${a:0:2} == "--" ]]; then
# remove
echo remove negative: ${a:1}
OLD_sed=`echo "${OLD_sed}"|sed 's/ '"${a:1}"'/ /g'`
else
# disable
echo disable: ${a:1}
OLD_sed=`echo "${OLD_sed}"|sed 's/'${a:1}'/'${a}'/g'`
fi

elif [[ ${a:0:1} != "-" && $OLD =~ " -"${a} ]]; then
# enable
echo enable: $a
OLD_sed=`echo "${OLD_sed}"|sed 's/-'${a}'/'${a}'/g'`

elif [[ $OLD =~ " ${a}" ]]; then
echo keeping: $a
else
if [[ ${a:0:2} = "--" ]]; then
# remove
echo remove positive: ${a:2}
OLD_sed=`echo "${OLD_sed}"|sed 's/ '${a:2}'/ /'`
else
OLD_sed="${OLD_sed} $a"
echo add: $a
fi
fi
elif [[ -z $a ]]; then
echo This is what you have:
echo $OLD
exit
else
NEW="$OLD_sed $a"
echo lisataan: $NEW
OLD_sed=$NEW
fi
else
echo ATOM: `echo $OLD|awk '{print $1}'`
fi
done
[[ "$OLD_sed" != "$ORIG_sed" ]] && sed -i.bak 's/'"${ORIG_sed}"'/'"${OLD_sed}"'/' $UF
fi
fi

Old 07-12-2008, 09:42 PM
"Gentoo User"

Hi,

the question is: is it really necessary? If I want to add a new entry
into this file I just call echo "category/package myflags" >>
/etc/portage/package.use and if I want to edit them I just call my
favorite editor, use its search capabilities and change the line.
So I don't really see the benefit of a command line tool, since I
still need to write flags, package and everything and the tools I'm
using now (mostly echo, grep and vim) to do this are not very
complicated and most of the typing goes to the use flags and package
name anyway.

Just my opinion.

Best regards

Geralt

Old 07-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Mikko Husari

Gentoo User wrote:

[...]

well, i cant argue with you on that. although, i also used
vim,grep,sed,echo to change my flags. still i felt i needes an easier
way, thats why i wrote it and thats why i think this is "easier" than
vim+handwork. basicly that script is only an interface to sed,echo,grep
and equery.

did you try to use it? id bet i could get changes applied much more
rapidly with that script than with vim or echo. (can not necessarily
compete with echo if you are sure it is an new addition)

Old 07-13-2008, 10:38 AM
"Gentoo User"

Hi,
I don't want to make your work bad.
After thinking it over I think it is actually a useful script, because
it adds a little bit more security to editing the package.use file
(I'm always fearing the day when I'm writing echo "stuff" >
/etc/portage/package.use").
But do you know that package.use can also be a directory which can
contain several files storing the use flags?

Geralt.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Mikko Husari

Gentoo User wrote:

[...]

i did not know that, (also the script ignores make.conf ). how does that
directory approach work, any documentation about it?

-- husku

Old 07-13-2008, 11:29 AM
"Arttu V."

On 7/13/08, Mikko Husari <husku@husku.net> wrote:
> i did not found (nor did i look for long enough) any tools/scripts to
> easily manage package.use file, so i did my own. now i started to think
> that, if there really is not any, my creation would be sufficient
> (although possibly buggy) for most users who wish to have "easy" control
> over package.use.

How does that compare to things like flagedit (available in portage)?

--
Arttu V.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 00:19:56 +0300, Mikko Husari wrote:

> greetings earthlings,

What about the rest of us?

> i did not found (nor did i look for long enough) any tools/scripts to
> easily manage package.use file,

% eix flagedit
[i] app-portage/flagedit
Available versions: 0.0.5 0.0.7
Installed versions: 0.0.7(19:47:47 01/11/07)
Homepage: http://damz.net/flagedit/
wide or /etc/portage files

It works well, provided package.use and package.keywords are files.

--
Neil Bothwick

Old age comes at a bad time.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Mikko Husari

Neil Bothwick wrote:

i did not found (nor did i look for long enough) any tools/scripts to
easily manage package.use file,

% eix flagedit
[i] app-portage/flagedit
Available versions: 0.0.5 0.0.7
Installed versions: 0.0.7(19:47:47 01/11/07)
Homepage: http://damz.net/flagedit/
wide or /etc/portage files

It works well, provided package.use and package.keywords are files.

thanks for pointing out better solution. it looks nice and has more
features. it would be excellent if it could "guess" the pkg-name with
'emerge -s' like mine does.

--husku

Old 07-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Mikko Husari

Arttu V. wrote:

i did not found (nor did i look for long enough) any tools/scripts to
easily manage package.use file, so i did my own. now i started to think
that, if there really is not any, my creation would be sufficient
(although possibly buggy) for most users who wish to have "easy" control
over package.use.

How does that compare to things like flagedit (available in portage)?

well, flagedit is much better

--husku

Old 07-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 15:50:39 +0300, Mikko Husari wrote:

> thanks for pointing out better solution. it looks nice and has more
> features. it would be excellent if it could "guess" the pkg-name with
> 'emerge -s' like mine does.

How about a wrapper script that uses the guessing from your script then
passes the correct name to flagedit?

--
Neil Bothwick

"Bother," said Pooh, as Christopher Robin shut the washing machine door.