Old 07-12-2008, 01:48 AM
Joseph

Default Installing Gentoo from USB stick

How hard is to install Gentoo from a USB stick? Is it officially supported this type of installation?
I can find instruction here and there; and some notes that is not an easy task.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm putting a new PC together and want to get rid of CD all together.

--
#Joseph
GPG KeyID: ED0E1FB7

Old 07-12-2008, 01:55 AM
Albert Hopkins

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 19:48 -0600, Joseph wrote:
> How hard is to install Gentoo from a USB stick? Is it officially supported this type of installation?
> I can find instruction here and there; and some notes that is not an easy task.
>
> The reason I'm asking is that I'm putting a new PC together and want to get rid of CD all together.

I personally have installed Gentoo from USB stick (RIPLinux) many times
without any issues. There's really no difference.

With the way the Gentoo works, all you really need for an install is
bootable Linux that can talk to your devices... That's one of the great
things about Gentoo.

-a

Old 07-12-2008, 02:33 AM
Joseph

How hard is to install Gentoo from a USB stick? Is it officially supported this type of installation?
I can find instruction here and there; and some notes that is not an easy task.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm putting a new PC together and want to get rid of CD all together.

I personally have installed Gentoo from USB stick (RIPLinux) many times
without any issues. There's really no difference.

With the way the Gentoo works, all you really need for an install is
bootable Linux that can talk to your devices... That's one of the great
things about Gentoo.

-a

How did you transfer bootable CD into a stick?

--
#Joseph
GPG KeyID: ED0E1FB7

Old 07-12-2008, 03:53 AM
Albert Hopkins

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 20:33 -0600, Joseph wrote:
> How did you transfer bootable CD into a stick?

The short answer is "who says it has to be a bootable CD image?". There
are plenty of USB-based linux images out there... just use one of those.

Slightly longer answer: If it's a syslinux-like CD, dd the mbr.bin to
the stick, and copy the rest of the contents to the 1st partition. That
should do it.*

* Haven't tested, but that should be the +/- the way of doing it.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:01 AM
Miernik

Joseph <syscon@interbaun.com> wrote:
> How hard is to install Gentoo from a USB stick? Is it officially
> supported this type of installation? I can find instruction here and
> there; and some notes that is not an easy task.

I did it two times. Just followed the instructions here:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml

--
Miernik
http://miernik.name/

Old 07-12-2008, 07:43 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 12 July 2008, Albert Hopkins wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 20:33 -0600, Joseph wrote:
> > How did you transfer bootable CD into a stick?
>
> The short answer is "who says it has to be a bootable CD image?".
> There are plenty of USB-based linux images out there... just use one
> of those.

I've done it this way too. All you really need is a system running that
can chroot and unpack the stage 3 and portage tarballs. Like Albert I
happened to use RIPLinux - very small, supports just about everything.

You don't need a Gentoo system to install Gentoo, all you need is
something that can deal with the filesystem you want to use, tar and
zip/bzip. Theoretically, even Windows could do it.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 07-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Robert Bridge

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 09:43:11 +0200
Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

> You don't need a Gentoo system to install Gentoo, all you need is
> something that can deal with the filesystem you want to use, tar and
> zip/bzip. Theoretically, even Windows could do it.

Argh... Now I feel this urge to achieve that!

Old 07-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Samstag, 12. Juli 2008 schrieb Robert Bridge:
> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 09:43:11 +0200
>
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You don't need a Gentoo system to install Gentoo, all you need is
> > something that can deal with the filesystem you want to use, tar and
> > zip/bzip. Theoretically, even Windows could do it.
>
> Argh... Now I feel this urge to achieve that!

I'm sure you can resist ;-)

Bye...

Dirk

Old 07-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 09:43:11 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> You don't need a Gentoo system to install Gentoo, all you need is
> something that can deal with the filesystem you want to use, tar and
> zip/bzip. Theoretically, even Windows could do it.

Don't you need chroot too? I suppose you could install cygwin on Windows,
but anyone who goes that route has far too much time to kill.

I installed my Eee from an SD card containing EeexUbunbtu. As you say,
anything that gives you a working Linux system will serve as an install
platform.

--
Neil Bothwick

Am I ignorant or apathetic? I don't know and don't care!

Old 07-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 12 July 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > You don't need a Gentoo system to install Gentoo, all you need is
> > something that can deal with the filesystem you want to use, tar
> > and zip/bzip. Theoretically, even Windows could do it.
>
> Don't you need chroot too? I suppose you could install cygwin on
> Windows, but anyone who goes that route has far too much time to
> kill.

Side point: it never ceases to amaze me the extent to which people think
installation is some magical procedure with voodoo in it, or that a
program (which is not installed yet!) somehow manages to install
itself.

When I give classes I usually let people do at least one install by
themselves, then take them through the real underlying steps one by
one: the installer is a regular program, it reads some data and writes
it to disk. Assuming it isn't buggy, what it writes just happens to be
the right thing that will boot an OS at next restart.

When they get that and enlightenment dawns on their faces, then I show
them wubi... :-)