Old 07-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Allan Gottlieb

Default grub emerge make boot screen and others unreadable

The latest stable emerge of grub decided to add

splashimage=(hd0,2)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

to my grub.conf

Since I do not have support for this in my kernel the screen was
unreadable. Should I file this as a bug?

thanks,
allan

Old 07-09-2008, 06:27 PM
"Andrew Tchernoivanov"

Try add to grub.conf this line

vga=0x31B

This controls resolution and color depth of your framebuffer screen. You can read more about this at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10

Old 07-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Joshua D Doll

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org <mailto:gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org>

splashimage has nothing to with the kernel. The kernel isn't even loaded
at this point. It's very likely that the splashimage line is pointing to
a nonexistent file.

--Joshua Doll

Old 07-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 12:25:30 -0700, Joshua D Doll wrote:

> splashimage has nothing to with the kernel. The kernel isn't even
> loaded at this point. It's very likely that the splashimage line is
> pointing to a nonexistent file.

Grub hangs if that's the case.

--
Neil Bothwick

A single fact can spoil a good argument.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 14:02:59 -0400, Allan Gottlieb wrote:

> The latest stable emerge of grub decided to add
>
> splashimage=(hd0,2)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>
> to my grub.conf
>
> Since I do not have support for this in my kernel the screen was
> unreadable. Should I file this as a bug?

The fact that the ebuild modifies grub.conf in any way should be
considered a bug IMO.

--
Neil Bothwick

To boldly go where I surely don't belong.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Joshua D Doll

Neil Bothwick wrote:

splashimage has nothing to with the kernel. The kernel isn't even
loaded at this point. It's very likely that the splashimage line is
pointing to a nonexistent file.

Grub hangs if that's the case.

I've had exactly the same thing happen to me when I've had the path
wrong for the splashimage. You get a highly unreadable screen, but it
still "works".

--Joshua Doll