Old 07-09-2008, 07:44 AM
Neil Bothwick

Default Network chip always comes up eth1 on 1-year-old Dell Inspiron 530

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 23:21:22 -0400, waltdnes@waltdnes.org wrote:

> I finally stumbled across the *REAL* reason I couldn't get it working.
> I always tried configuring eth0 for it... silly me. Apparently, the
> chip *ALWAYS* comes up as eth1.

Udev is doing this. If you have removed the second card,
delete /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules, otherwise edit the file
to switch the assignments for the two NICs.

--
Neil Bothwick

Press any key to continue... <click> Except that one..

Old 07-13-2008, 08:37 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 13 July 2008, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 08:44:51AM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote
>
> > > chip *ALWAYS* comes up as eth1.
> >
> > Udev is doing this. If you have removed the second card,
> > delete /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules, otherwise edit
> > the file to switch the assignments for the two NICs.
>
> Thanks. A "new and improved helpfull feature" that could've done
> without.

It's a trade-off for me. The interface might get a stupid name but at
least it's the *same* stupid name every time, as opposed to the old
method where interfaces were liable to change names based on what you
did with your hardware this morning or the phases of the moon...

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 07-13-2008, 10:30 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 19:55:56 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:

> > Udev is doing this. If you have removed the second card,
> > delete /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules, otherwise edit the
> > file to switch the assignments for the two NICs.
>
> Thanks. A "new and improved helpfull feature" that could've done
> without.

It's hardly new, it's been around for some years. It is helpful if you
have two NICs because it means they are named consistently, which is
better than having your private network connected to the Internet
because the kernel decided to load the modules in a different order.

--
Neil Bothwick

This tagline is umop apisdn

Old 07-14-2008, 06:43 AM
Daniel Iliev

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 11:30:56 +0100
Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 19:55:56 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
>
> > > Udev is doing this. If you have removed the second card,
> > > delete /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules, otherwise edit
> > > the file to switch the assignments for the two NICs.
> >
> > Thanks. A "new and improved helpfull feature" that could've done
> > without.
>
> It's hardly new, it's been around for some years. It is helpful if you
> have two NICs because it means they are named consistently, which is
> better than having your private network connected to the Internet
> because the kernel decided to load the modules in a different order.

IIRC:

1) You can explicitly tell the kernel the order in which load the
modules
2) If you build the the drivers in-kernel the the order is determined
by the PCI slot numbers

--
Best regards,
Daniel

Old 07-14-2008, 10:25 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 09:43:21 +0300, Daniel Iliev wrote:

> > It's hardly new, it's been around for some years. It is helpful if you
> > have two NICs because it means they are named consistently, which is
> > better than having your private network connected to the Internet
> > because the kernel decided to load the modules in a different order.

> 1) You can explicitly tell the kernel the order in which load the
> modules

And if the module for eth0 fails to load, the other card becomes eth0
instead of eth1. Using udev rules, the second card is always eth1,
whatever happens elsewhere in the system.

--
Neil Bothwick

If at first you don't succeed, call in an airstrike.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 14 July 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 09:43:21 +0300, Daniel Iliev wrote:
> > > It's hardly new, it's been around for some years. It is helpful
> > > if you have two NICs because it means they are named
> > > consistently, which is better than having your private network
> > > connected to the Internet because the kernel decided to load the
> > > modules in a different order.
> >
> > 1) You can explicitly tell the kernel the order in which load the
> > modules
>
> And if the module for eth0 fails to load, the other card becomes eth0
> instead of eth1. Using udev rules, the second card is always eth1,
> whatever happens elsewhere in the system.

Consider this: if we could have assigned arbitrary names to interfaces
since day one, we would have the exact same behaviour udev gives,
everyone would agree this is a truly excellent thing and this thread
would not exist.

The single minor difference is that you can't call the interface
whatever you want directly, it just gets named the equally arbitrary
name of "eth1"

Old 07-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 18:30:57 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> The single minor difference is that you can't call the interface
> whatever you want directly, it just gets named the equally arbitrary
> name of "eth1"

Unless you edit the rule file and change that.

--
Neil Bothwick

Q. Why do women have orgasms?
A: It gives them one extra reason to moan.