Old 07-08-2008, 04:34 PM
"Marko Kocić"

Default Emerge --inject equivalent

Does that mean that I will be prompted to recompile when some flag
that is used is changed or when new version becomes available?

Thanks,
Marko

Old 07-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 18:14:13 +0200, Marko Kocić wrote:

> The same story applies to different packages. If new USE flag is added
> which I don't use anyways, I still have to recompile the same version
> of package because emerge bugs me to do it.
>
> Does anyone knows how to avoid unnecessary recompilation in this case?

Edit /var/db/pkg/cat/pkg-version/USE. This file contains the USE flags
the package was built with, editing it to match the changed flags fools
portage into thinking a re-compilation is not available.

Alternatives are don't use --newuse with emerge world unless you are also
using --pretend, or let the merging begin, hit Ctrl-C when that package
starts then run emerge --resume --skipfirst.

--
Neil Bothwick

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him
to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:42 PM
"Marko Kocić"

Thanks,
the problem is that USE flags are not changed, but CROSSCOMPILE_HEADER_OPTIONS
New option is added there which is not used anyways.

I'll try that as soon as I can.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Kenneth Prugh

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 18:34:53 +0200
"Marko Kocić" <marko.kocic@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does that mean that I will be prompted to recompile when some flag
> that is used is changed or when new version becomes available?

from the man page:

"Portage will not attempt to update a package that is listed here unless
another package explicitly requires a version that is newer than what
has been listed."

So in short usually no, it's meant to replace the --inject behavior.

--
Ken69267 | AMD64 Gentoo Dev

Old 07-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 18:42:57 +0200, Marko Kocić wrote:

> the problem is that USE flags are not changed, but
> CROSSCOMPILE_HEADER_OPTIONS New option is added there which is not used
> anyways.

The other options can also be changed in files in the same directory.

Please don't top post, unless backwards speak also you.

--
Neil Bothwick

All things in moderation, ESPECIALLY moderation.