Old 07-08-2008, 01:12 PM
"Matthew R. Lee"

Default Dell Linux desktop

I'm thinking of buying a dell Ubuntu desktop (Inspiron 530MT) for my lab. The
university has an arrangement that can get me a discount. I have a question,
has anyone bought one of these and installed gentoo on it? I sure it will
work, I'm just wondering if there are any tweaks that dell have made to the
Ubuntu install to make certain components work, that may be more difficult to
replicate with the gentoo install. I'm going for the default set-up plus
extra memory, that's a Pentium dual-core processor E2180 1MB 2GHz, 2GB RAM,
250GB SATA, 20" widescreen, Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100,
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
Any comments would be appreciated
Saludos
Matt
--
Dr. Matthew R. Lee

matt@matthewlee.org

Old 07-08-2008, 02:26 PM
"Christopher Koeber"

I don't really know off of the top. Based off of secondhand knowledge none that I can recall.

However, the best thing I can think of to be sure everything works is to get the latest knoppix DVD and then run that. If the basics work right off of the bat (WLAN,video,sound,Power functions) then you should be good to go.

If not, at least you can a). return without any issues or b). have a starting point on what you need to do/get.

Regards,
Christopher Koeber