Old 07-06-2008, 02:19 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default spamassassin-3.2.1-r1 emerge failure

For reasons discussed elsewhere, I've got to get serious about spam.* But my first 3 attempts to emerge spamassassin have failed. (on x86).

For one thing, there's a detection process near the beginning that is failing to detect Perl modules that are actually present, and from portage not CPAN.

First it was Digest-SHA1.* Re-emerging it fixed that, so maybe there was bitrot somewhere.* But now it's doing the same thing with Mail:KIM, but
that's fortunately not a show-stopper like SHA1, but it's still worrisome.

Now the show-stopper is some access violations that make no sense to me.* It says it could not 'mkdir /usr/share/spamassassin', but I could do it
from the command line (as root).* Having done it, it still complained but proceeded to report an access violation on an attempt to 'chmod 0644 something'.

I could also do that one from the command-line.* Grrrr.

Has anyone seen this, and know of a workaround?
--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 07-13-2008, 02:10 AM
"Canek Peláez Valdés"

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 9:19 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
> For reasons discussed elsewhere, I've got to get serious about spam. But my
> first 3 attempts to emerge spamassassin have failed. (on x86).
>
> For one thing, there's a detection process near the beginning that is
> failing to detect Perl modules that are actually present, and from portage
> not CPAN.
> First it was Digest-SHA1. Re-emerging it fixed that, so maybe there was
> bitrot somewhere. But now it's doing the same thing with Mail:KIM, but
> that's fortunately not a show-stopper like SHA1, but it's still worrisome.
>
> Now the show-stopper is some access violations that make no sense to me. It
> says it could not 'mkdir /usr/share/spamassassin', but I could do it
> from the command line (as root). Having done it, it still complained but
> proceeded to report an access violation on an attempt to 'chmod 0644
> something'.
> I could also do that one from the command-line. Grrrr.
>
> Has anyone seen this, and know of a workaround?

Use mail-filter/bogofilter? It uses bayesian techniques too, and I
*think* it's compatible with SpamAssassin (I use Evolution, and it
lets you choose among both of them).
--
Fred Allen - "Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."