Old 07-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

Default SCG (was: emerge -avC cdrkit && emerge -av cdrtools)

Joerg Schilling schrieb:

Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@googlemail.com> wrote:

Joerg Schilling schrieb:

Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@googlemail.com> wrote:

So you successfully unmerged cdrkit, dvd+rw-tools and kino. The
installation of cdrtools fails because of a broken symlink. I guess the
/usr/include/scsilib/scg symlink to usr/include/scsilib/usal has not
been removed with cdrkit and is now broken and the cdrtools installation
can not overwrite the link. If the output is really red it is indeed a
broken symlink and you can safely remove it, then try to install
cdrtools again or use the proposed commands.

Mmmm, cdrtools may create a directory /usr/include/scg/ but the text /scsilib/
is nowhere in cdrtools.

In Gentoo scg is installed under /usr/include/scsilib

Here a snippet from the ebuild:

insinto /usr/include/scsilib/scg
doins include/scg/*.h

/usr/include/scsilib/scg -> /usr/include/scsilib/usal is a symlink used
by cdrkit. It was not removed when the package manager uninstalled
cdrkit. At least I think so, as this does not happen here but maybe with
older versions I don't use.

This is a really bad idea.

/usr/include/scg/ is a planned directory that is known to be unique.

cdrkit does not deliver anything that is even approximately useful as a
replacement for libscg.

Installing the includefiles from libscg into /usr/include/scsilib/scg makes them
unusable as there is no software that is aware of this location. It seems that
the only result is that it makes it harder to install cdrtools instread of
cdrkit.

Jörg

Out of curiosity I tried a manual install and /usr/include/scg/ was not
created at all. The command i used was

./Gmake INS_BASE=/home/billie/cdrtools-test/ install

Old 07-07-2008, 10:38 AM
"Daniel Pielmeier"

2008/7/5, Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@googlemail.com>:
> Joerg Schilling schrieb:
> >
> > This is a really bad idea.
> > /usr/include/scg/ is a planned directory that is known to be unique.
> >
> > cdrkit does not deliver anything that is even approximately useful as a
> replacement for libscg.
> >
> > Installing the includefiles from libscg into /usr/include/scsilib/scg
> makes them
> > unusable as there is no software that is aware of this location. It seems
> that the only result is that it makes it harder to install cdrtools instread
> of cdrkit.
> >
> > Jörg
> >

> Out of curiosity I tried a manual install and /usr/include/scg/ was not
> created at all. The command i used was
>
> ./Gmake INS_BASE=/home/billie/cdrtools-test/ install

Returning to the technical side, I would really want to know why
/usr/include/scg is not installed. I tried Gmake and also tried smake,
but in both cases the libscg includes are not installed to the target
directory! Am I doing something wrong here?

Regards,

Daniel

Old 07-07-2008, 12:35 PM

Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Out of curiosity I tried a manual install and /usr/include/scg/ was not
> created at all. The command i used was
>
> ./Gmake INS_BASE=/home/billie/cdrtools-test/ install

Is this intended to be a joke or do you really like to ask me why it did not do
something while you told it to do something else?

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 07-07-2008, 12:47 PM
"Daniel Pielmeier"

2008/7/7, Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de>:
> Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Out of curiosity I tried a manual install and /usr/include/scg/ was not
> > created at all. The command i used was
> >
> > ./Gmake INS_BASE=/home/billie/cdrtools-test/ install
>
> Is this intended to be a joke or do you really like to ask me why it did not do
> something while you told it to do something else?

No this is no joke at all!

I should have said $INS_BASE/include/scg was not created at all.

What i meant with the first question is that the libscg headers are
not copied to the install destination.Sorry if I expressed this wrong
in my first question.

Regards,

Daniel

Old 07-07-2008, 03:19 PM

"Daniel Pielmeier" <daniel.pielmeier@googlemail.com> wrote:

> 2008/7/7, Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de>:
> > Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Out of curiosity I tried a manual install and /usr/include/scg/ was not
> > > created at all. The command i used was
> > >
> > > ./Gmake INS_BASE=/home/billie/cdrtools-test/ install
> >
> > Is this intended to be a joke or do you really like to ask me why it did not do
> > something while you told it to do something else?
>
> No this is no joke at all!
>
> I should have said $INS_BASE/include/scg was not created at all.
>
> What i meant with the first question is that the libscg headers are
> not copied to the install destination.Sorry if I expressed this wrong
> in my first question.

OK, this is a missing makefile.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)