Old 07-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Default emerge -avC cdrkit && emerge -av cdrtools

On Samstag, 5. Juli 2008, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> Installing the includefiles from libscg into /usr/include/scsilib/scg makes
> them unusable as there is no software that is aware of this location.

wrong. It is easy to tell software which needs/wants that headers the right
directory. If there is a problem, a bug is opened. Easy.

I am sure all software in gentoo needing this headers is fully aware of the
location.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 14:14:17 +0200, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:

> I find it a bit sad that cdrkit is the preferred cd burning application
> because it satisfies the cdrtools virtual first. This means when you
> have neither cdrkit nor cdrtools installed cdrkit is preferred. However
> i could not find out why. There is nothing in the profiles which defines
> how cdrkit is favored. Maybe someone can point me to the right location.

It is defined in the virtuals file in your profile.

> I think cdrtools should be preferred and not the fork cdrkit!

It depends on the profile, some default to cdrkit, some to cdrtools:

grep virtual/cdrtools /usr/portage/profiles/**/virtuals

--
Neil Bothwick

We are Pentium of Borg. You will be approximated. Resistance may or may
not be futile, except on every other Tuesday when it is a definite maybe.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

Neil Bothwick schrieb:

I find it a bit sad that cdrkit is the preferred cd burning application
because it satisfies the cdrtools virtual first. This means when you
have neither cdrkit nor cdrtools installed cdrkit is preferred. However
i could not find out why. There is nothing in the profiles which defines
how cdrkit is favored. Maybe someone can point me to the right location.

It is defined in the virtuals file in your profile.

I think cdrtools should be preferred and not the fork cdrkit!

It depends on the profile, some default to cdrkit, some to cdrtools:

grep virtual/cdrtools /usr/portage/profiles/**/virtuals

grep virtual/cdrtools
/media/system/repositories/portage/profiles/**/virtuals
/media/system/repositories/portage/profiles/base/virtuals:virtual/cdrtools
app-cdr/cdrkit

That was what i am looking for, thanks! Why they did choose cdrkit in
favor of cdrtools is a miracle to me! Maybe I will ask the maintainer
about this!

Regards,

Daniel

Old 07-06-2008, 07:43 AM
KH

Sebastian Günther schrieb:

* KH (gentoo-user@konstantinhansen.de) [05.07.08 13:24]:

Hi,

after reading some emails from the list I have been trying to unmerge
cdrkit and to emerge cdrtools. I aslo hat to unmerge dvd+rw-tools and kino.
Anyway I am still not able to emerge cdrtools.

!!! Cannot write to '/usr/include/scsilib/scg'.
!!! Please check permissions and directories for broken symlinks.
!!! You may start the merge process again by using ebuild:
!!! ebuild /usr/portage/app-cdr/cdrtools/cdrtools-2.01.01_alpha34.ebuild
merge

!!! And finish by running this: env-update

than there is a very long list I can post if needed.

ls -lah /usr/include/scsilib/scg
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Jun 25 12:48 /usr/include/scsilib/scg ->
/usr/include/scsilib/usal

on my xterm there is red highlighting under the output.

What can I do to install cdrtools correctly to a working standard?

If I'm not mistaken, it means there is a dangling symlink.

if
# ls -lah /usr/include/scsilib/usal
shows something like no such file or directory, then
# rm /usr/include/scsilib/scg

and continue as above mentioned with
# ebuild /usr/portage/app-cdr/cdrtools/cdrtools-2.01.01_alpha34.ebuild merge

HTH
Sebastian

P.S.: I don't use kino so just try a
# emerge -pvt kino
afterwards, to look what it tries to pull in.

Hi,
thanks for the help. looks like it is working now. I did not have the
ebuild any more (tmpfs) but emerge did fine.

kh

Old 07-06-2008, 07:49 AM
KH