Old 07-05-2008, 11:23 AM
KH

Default emerge -avC cdrkit && emerge -av cdrtools

Hi,

after reading some emails from the list I have been trying to unmerge
cdrkit and to emerge cdrtools. I aslo hat to unmerge dvd+rw-tools and
kino. Anyway I am still not able to emerge cdrtools.

!!! Cannot write to '/usr/include/scsilib/scg'.
!!! Please check permissions and directories for broken symlinks.
!!! You may start the merge process again by using ebuild:
!!! ebuild /usr/portage/app-cdr/cdrtools/cdrtools-2.01.01_alpha34.ebuild
merge

!!! And finish by running this: env-update

than there is a very long list I can post if needed.

ls -lah /usr/include/scsilib/scg
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Jun 25 12:48 /usr/include/scsilib/scg ->
/usr/include/scsilib/usal

on my xterm there is red highlighting under the output.

What can I do to install cdrtools correctly to a working standard?

Will I be able to emerge kino again, without cdrkit?

Thanks for any help

kh

Old 07-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Sebastian Günther

* KH (gentoo-user@konstantinhansen.de) [05.07.08 13:24]:
> Hi,
>
> after reading some emails from the list I have been trying to unmerge
> cdrkit and to emerge cdrtools. I aslo hat to unmerge dvd+rw-tools and kino.
> Anyway I am still not able to emerge cdrtools.
>
> !!! Cannot write to '/usr/include/scsilib/scg'.
> !!! Please check permissions and directories for broken symlinks.
> !!! You may start the merge process again by using ebuild:
> !!! ebuild /usr/portage/app-cdr/cdrtools/cdrtools-2.01.01_alpha34.ebuild
> merge
> !!! And finish by running this: env-update
>

> than there is a very long list I can post if needed.
>
> ls -lah /usr/include/scsilib/scg
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Jun 25 12:48 /usr/include/scsilib/scg ->
> /usr/include/scsilib/usal
>
> on my xterm there is red highlighting under the output.
>
> What can I do to install cdrtools correctly to a working standard?

If I'm not mistaken, it means there is a dangling symlink.

if
# ls -lah /usr/include/scsilib/usal
shows something like no such file or directory, then
# rm /usr/include/scsilib/scg
and continue as above mentioned with
# ebuild /usr/portage/app-cdr/cdrtools/cdrtools-2.01.01_alpha34.ebuild merge

HTH
Sebastian

P.S.: I don't use kino so just try a
# emerge -pvt kino
afterwards, to look what it tries to pull in.

--
" Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx

SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@guenther-roetgen.de

Old 07-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Mick

On Saturday 05 July 2008, Sebastian Günther wrote:

> P.S.: I don't use kino so just try a
> # emerge -pvt kino
> afterwards, to look what it tries to pull in.

I don't have cdrkit on my systems and it does not seem to have a dependency
for kino:

# emerge -pvt kino

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild N ] media-video/kino-1.2.0 USE="alsa dvdr gstreamer quicktime
vorbis -gpac -lame -sox" 10,388 kB
[ebuild N ] media-sound/rawrec-0.9.98 60 kB
[ebuild N ] media-libs/libiec61883-1.1.0 USE="-examples" 359 kB
[ebuild N ] sys-libs/libavc1394-0.5.3 0 kB
[ebuild N ] media-libs/libdv-1.0.0-r2 USE="sdl xv -debug" 0 kB
[ebuild N ] sys-libs/libraw1394-1.2.1 0 kB

Total: 6 packages (6 new), Size of downloads: 10,806 kB

A revdep-rebuild -X -p -v would probably resolve the OP's problem.
Mick

Old 07-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

KH schrieb:

[...]

So you successfully unmerged cdrkit, dvd+rw-tools and kino. The
installation of cdrtools fails because of a broken symlink. I guess the
/usr/include/scsilib/scg symlink to usr/include/scsilib/usal has not
been removed with cdrkit and is now broken and the cdrtools installation
can not overwrite the link. If the output is really red it is indeed a
broken symlink and you can safely remove it, then try to install
cdrtools again or use the proposed commands.

It should be no problem to install kino again as cdrkit provides the
same functionality like cdrtools, besides the different amount of
development that happens on both projects. But i think there was no need
to remove kino at all when switching to cdrtools, because it has no
dependency on both apps.

I find it a bit sad that cdrkit is the preferred cd burning application
because it satisfies the cdrtools virtual first. This means when you
have neither cdrkit nor cdrtools installed cdrkit is preferred. However
i could not find out why. There is nothing in the profiles which defines
how cdrkit is favored. Maybe someone can point me to the right location.

I think cdrtools should be preferred and not the fork cdrkit!

My make profile points to
/media/system/repositories/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/2008.0.

Regards,

Daniel

Old 07-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag, 5. Juli 2008, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:

> I find it a bit sad that cdrkit is the preferred cd burning application
> because it satisfies the cdrtools virtual first. This means when you
> have neither cdrkit nor cdrtools installed cdrkit is preferred. However
> i could not find out why.

k is before t in the alphabet?

Old 07-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Daniel Pielmeier