Old 07-04-2008, 07:09 AM
"dell core2duo"

Default Strange problems

Hi all,

3-4 days back i did a world emerge. First i wanted to do a update only but instead a did a world emerge with --emptytree option. Everything gone quite smoothly.
* Then i did a module-reubuild. Then a reboot. Everything was fine till now. But after login i noticed one thing, typing anywhere(either on terminal or gedit or anywhere) is not smooth any more.

* I mean going through in a file up and down or escaping characters is really slow now.* One more thing was that 'gsynaptics' was not working anymore.
flukebox@flukebox ~ $ gsynaptics

** (gsynaptics:31184): WARNING **: Using synclient
flukebox@flukebox ~ $
It appread on screen for few moments less then 2-3 seconds and gone.* No errors to trace back.

That sucks me totally. Previously i have xorg-x11-7.2, now after world emerge I have xorg-x11-7.3 with x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.14.09 both the times. I didn't find a cure for that rough typing and synaptics.

Then i look inot Xorg log, and quite interestingly found* following errors.

flukebox flukebox # cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log|grep EE

******* (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/mouse0
(EE) Mouse1: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Mouse1"

(EE) xf86OpenSerial: No Device specified.
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
(EE) Read error: No such device
flukebox flukebox #

In my Xorg.conf i have following related settings..

<snip>
*** InputDevice*** "Touchpad" "CorePointer"

*** InputDevice*** "Mouse1"** "AlwaysCore"
*** InputDevice*** "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard
</snip>

<snip>*** ................................
************* load********** "synaptics

************* ................................
</snip>

<snip>
**** Section "InputDevice"
**** Driver***** "synaptics"
**** Identifier* "Touchpad"
**** Option***** "Device"**** "/dev/input/mouse1"

******* .............................
</snip>

flukebox flukebox # ls -l /dev/input/mouse*
crw-r----- 1 root root 13, 32 Jul* 4 06:41 /dev/input/mouse0

crw-r----- 1 root root 13, 33 Jul* 4 06:41 /dev/input/mouse1
flukebox flukebox #

After that i googled a lot but till now unable to find any cure. So, i forget that for time being.

Lately i was trying to get hibernate, suspend working on my laptop. I followed "http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_TuxOnIce". I installed "sys-kernel/tuxonice" and got settings accoring to howto.

I emerged hibernate-script,suspend too. then i tried hibernating. Aah hiberanting didn't work. It worked partially actually. I am able to hibernate but not able to resume. While resuming system freezes after saying "cleaning". Any specific logs to look into ?

when hibernate didn't work .. i give a try to suspend .. and write "hibernate-ram" on terminal and voila it worked. So, I am currently able to suspend.
Here comes very interesting and strange part of all of these headaches. After resuming from sleep, one more problem got solved. No more slow typing hurray :P.

So, now i can type everywhere(terminal or gedit or whatever) as fast as before emerging world. Even going though in a file up and down, tho and fro are smooth now. But i have no clue whats happing wrong in boot that causing me typing error.And whats good happing while resumming from sleep that remove those error. Does sequence of module probing gives any change ??

<system info>
*Dell Inspiron 1520
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0407 (rev a1) <8600 GT, nvidia>
*flukebox flukebox # uname -a
Linux flukebox 2.6.25-tuxonice-r6 #2 SMP Thu Jul 3 20:19:32 IST 2008 i686 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

</system info>

*
*Any help/comments would be highly appreciated.

*Thanks and regards,
flukebox
*