Old 07-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Florian Philipp

Default Grub on a new disk

Hi!

I've recently moved /boot from /dev/hda to /dev/hdd. Then I've
installed grub with
for i in /dev/hd{a,b,d}; do grub-install --recheck $i; done

Now the system boots correctly but it takes ages (>10sec) to come from
"Grub loading Stage1.5"
"Grub loading, please wait..."
and then another 10sec or more to open the menu.

I think I had this problem a long time ago but I can't remember the
solution. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

Florian Philipp

Old 07-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Mick

On Thursday 03 July 2008, Florian Philipp wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've recently moved /boot from /dev/hda to /dev/hdd. Then I've
> installed grub with
> for i in /dev/hd{a,b,d}; do grub-install --recheck $i; done

My knowledge of bash is less than rudimentary, therefore I am not sure what
this does - can you please explain (in plain English). Did you only
have /dev/hdd mounted at the time of installation? What else is connected to
the controller that hdd is connected to?

> Now the system boots correctly but it takes ages (>10sec) to come from
> "Grub loading Stage1.5"
> "Grub loading, please wait..."
> and then another 10sec or more to open the menu.

That's rather a lot! I have certainly noticed that when /boot is installed in
the last partition of relatively large disks it takes longer for grub to come
up, but I am getting ~4sec on a 250G SATA, not >20sec like yours.

> I think I had this problem a long time ago but I can't remember the
> solution. Can anyone help?

I'd be interested to know if there is a solution. I had taken it as a given
that if grub is not at the start of a disk it takes longer to boot.
Mick

Old 07-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Florian Philipp

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 23:04:26 +0100
Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 03 July 2008, Florian Philipp wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I've recently moved /boot from /dev/hda to /dev/hdd. Then I've
> > installed grub with
> > for i in /dev/hd{a,b,d}; do grub-install --recheck $i; done
>
> My knowledge of bash is less than rudimentary, therefore I am not
> sure what this does - can you please explain (in plain English). Did
> you only have /dev/hdd mounted at the time of installation? What
> else is connected to the controller that hdd is connected to?

The above line is a short version of:
grub-install --recheck /dev/hda
grub-install --recheck /dev/hdb
grub-install --recheck /dev/hdd

--recheck was necessary because the old device map listed /dev/hdd as
an optical drive.

I installed grub on all devices because I wasn't sure which one is
checked by the BIOS. Now I know I can tell the BIOS to look at /dev/hdd
first but that doesn't help.

At the time of installation the system was running with all devices
mounted. The old /boot (/dev/hda1) was unmounted and the
new /boot (/dev/hdd1) mounted.

On the same controller there are two more HDDs (hda and hdb) and a
DVD-burner (hdc). UDMA modes are set correctly by the BIOS, after boot
everything works fine.

There is also a floppy drive and several USB-devices (card reader).

Old 07-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Sebastian Günther

* Florian Philipp (lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net) [04.07.08 11:20]:
> On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 23:04:26 +0100

Recheck your grub.conf. Maybe you have the wrong root parameter and/or
path to the kernel image.

Sebastian

--
" Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx

SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@guenther-roetgen.de

Old 07-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Florian Philipp

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 12:11:01 +0200
Sebastian Günther <samson@guenther-roetgen.de> wrote:

> * Florian Philipp (lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net) [04.07.08 11:20]:
> > On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 23:04:26 +0100
>
> Recheck your grub.conf. Maybe you have the wrong root parameter
> and/or path to the kernel image.
>
> Sebastian

Huh, how does this affect how Grub loads? Remember: Loading the kernel
once Grub is up and running is no problem, just getting to the grub
menu needs ages.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Florian Philipp

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 17:48:38 +0200
Florian Philipp <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've recently moved /boot from /dev/hda to /dev/hdd. Then I've
> installed grub with
> for i in /dev/hd{a,b,d}; do grub-install --recheck $i; done
>
> Now the system boots correctly but it takes ages (>10sec) to come from
> "Grub loading Stage1.5"
> "Grub loading, please wait..."
> and then another 10sec or more to open the menu.
>
> I think I had this problem a long time ago but I can't remember the
> solution. Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Florian Philipp

By the way: I noticed that the HDD-LED is constantly on while Grub is

Old 07-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Mick

On Saturday 05 July 2008, Florian Philipp wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 17:48:38 +0200
>
> Florian Philipp <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I've recently moved /boot from /dev/hda to /dev/hdd. Then I've
> > installed grub with
> > for i in /dev/hd{a,b,d}; do grub-install --recheck $i; done
> >
> > Now the system boots correctly but it takes ages (>10sec) to come from
> > "Grub loading Stage1.5"
> > "Grub loading, please wait..."
> > and then another 10sec or more to open the menu.
> >
> > I think I had this problem a long time ago but I can't remember the
> > solution. Can anyone help?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Florian Philipp
>
> By the way: I noticed that the HDD-LED is constantly on while Grub is

As far as I can understand the problem arises because you have installed grub
everywhere. When your BIOS kicks in it goes to the first disk's MBR, reads
the GRUB boot code, which starts probing each and every device where a GRUB
file system exists. Perhaps it also checks each MBR? Eventually it arrives
at /dev/hdd and GRUB loads up its boot menu. You can tweak
the /boot/grub/device.map file to change the order of the devices and bring
up /dev/hdd sooner.

Alternatively and probably easier would be to change the boot order of your
drives in your BIOS menu. Since you have installed GRUB in each drive's MBR
you should be able to boot straight off your hdd drive.

HTH.
Mick

Old 07-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Alex Schuster

Florian Philipp writes:

> I've recently moved /boot from /dev/hda to /dev/hdd. Then I've
> installed grub with
> for i in /dev/hd{a,b,d}; do grub-install --recheck $i; done
>
> Now the system boots correctly but it takes ages (>10sec) to come from
> "Grub loading Stage1.5"
> "Grub loading, please wait..."
> and then another 10sec or more to open the menu.
>
> I think I had this problem a long time ago but I can't remember the
> solution. Can anyone help?

I don't know what happens here... but I also don't know why you need to
install grub on every drive. I have four IDE drives /dev/hd[abef], grub
stage 1 is installed in the MBR of hda, but stage 2 in in the /boot
partition located on hde. I installed like this:

# grub
root (hd2,0)
setup (hd0)
quit

Wonko

Old 07-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Florian Philipp

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 12:18:28 +0100
Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as I can understand the problem arises because you have
> installed grub everywhere. When your BIOS kicks in it goes to the
> first disk's MBR, reads the GRUB boot code, which starts probing each
> and every device where a GRUB file system exists. Perhaps it also
> checks each MBR? Eventually it arrives at /dev/hdd and GRUB loads up
> its boot menu. You can tweak the /boot/grub/device.map file to
> change the order of the devices and bring up /dev/hdd sooner.
>
> Alternatively and probably easier would be to change the boot order
> of your drives in your BIOS menu. Since you have installed GRUB in
> each drive's MBR you should be able to boot straight off your hdd
> drive.
>
> HTH.

I think I've already written that I've installed Grub on every disk
because I didn't know whether the BIOS allows booting from secondary
slave and I didn't want to risk an unbootable system.
I've already changed the BIOS boot order to look at /dev/hdd's MBR
first but that didn't help.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Mick

On Saturday 05 July 2008, Florian Philipp wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 12:18:28 +0100
>
> Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> > As far as I can understand the problem arises because you have
> > installed grub everywhere. When your BIOS kicks in it goes to the
> > first disk's MBR, reads the GRUB boot code, which starts probing each
> > and every device where a GRUB file system exists. Perhaps it also
> > checks each MBR? Eventually it arrives at /dev/hdd and GRUB loads up
> > its boot menu. You can tweak the /boot/grub/device.map file to
> > change the order of the devices and bring up /dev/hdd sooner.
> >
> > Alternatively and probably easier would be to change the boot order
> > of your drives in your BIOS menu. Since you have installed GRUB in
> > each drive's MBR you should be able to boot straight off your hdd
> > drive.
> >
> > HTH.
>
> I think I've already written that I've installed Grub on every disk
> because I didn't know whether the BIOS allows booting from secondary
> slave and I didn't want to risk an unbootable system.

You should be able to boot and reinstall GRUB in which ever MBR you choose
with a LiveCD.

> I've already changed the BIOS boot order to look at /dev/hdd's MBR
> first but that didn't help.

Right, have you checked your device.map to see if there's anything untoward in
there?

> Now the system boots correctly but it takes ages (>10sec) to come
> from "Grub loading Stage1.5" to "Grub loading, please wait..."

Stage1.5 contains the filesystem driver which will allow GRUB to be able to
read the fs of hdd on which the /boot/grub/stage2 file is stored. Since 10
seconds to read a relatively small file is rather excessive, could it be a
drive cable/ribbon fault?

> and then another 10sec or more to open the menu.

Ditto. If it were that the GRUB code in the bootloader went into a loop or
something, scanning all drives, then by this step it would not need to probe
or access any other device. The fact that it takes so long points towards a
hardware rather than a configuration issue. Other than that could it be a fs
corruption problem? </clutching at straws>

Unless better ideas are proposed you may want to remerge grub, then re-install
it manually in the first disk MBR using a grub > prompt (as per the handbook)
and point it's root to your hdd disk.

HTH.
Mick