Old 07-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Pawel K

Default 4 GB and Intel Core 2 Duo

Hello

I have 4 GB of ram and a Intel Core 2 Duo E4500.
I compiled the kernel as follows:
Processor family
* Core 2/newer Xeon

Subarchitecture Type
* PC-compatible

High Memory Support
* Off

All my remaining packages are compiled as 32 bit binaries.

The last switch causes my system to see less than 1 GB of memory:
cat /proc/meminfo:
MemTotal:****** 901816 kB

AFAIK kernel does not need High Memory Support in case of 64 bit CPUs.

What's wrong with my kernel config ?
Maybe it does not run as a 64 bit CPU ?

thanks for an answer.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Dale

Pawel K wrote:

Hello

I have 4 GB of ram and a Intel Core 2 Duo E4500.
I compiled the kernel as follows:
Processor family
Core 2/newer Xeon

Subarchitecture Type
PC-compatible

High Memory Support
Off

All my remaining packages are compiled as 32 bit binaries.

The last switch causes my system to see less than 1 GB of memory:
cat /proc/meminfo:
MemTotal: 901816 kB

AFAIK kernel does not need High Memory Support in case of 64 bit CPUs.

What's wrong with my kernel config ?
Maybe it does not run as a 64 bit CPU ?

thanks for an answer.

Check your kernel:

Processor type and features

High Memory Support

then select 4Gb or maybe even 64Gb if you plan to add even more later.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 07-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 08:49:45 -0700 (PDT), Pawel K wrote:

> AFAIK kernel does not need High Memory Support in case of 64 bit CPUs.
>
> What's wrong with my kernel config ?
> Maybe it does not run as a 64 bit CPU ?

That's the most likely case, because the HighMem option doesn't even
appear on a 64 bit system.

--
Neil Bothwick

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Mike Williams

On Thursday 03 July 2008 16:49:45 Pawel K wrote:
> AFAIK kernel does not need High Memory Support in case of 64 bit CPUs.

Correct.

> What's wrong with my kernel config ?
> Maybe it does not run as a 64 bit CPU ?

The config for an x86_64 kernel doesn't have a high memory support option,
you've built a 32bit kernel.

a64bitserver linux # make menuconfig
scripts/kconfig/mconf arch/x86_64/Kconfig
make[1]: *** [menuconfig] Error 1
make: *** [menuconfig] Interrupt

--
Mike Williams

Old 07-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Norberto Bensa

Quoting Pawel K <pawlaczus@yahoo.com>:

High Memory Support
* Off

You made you box to only see ~950MB

From menuconfig:

CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G:

Select this if you have a 32-bit processor and between 1 and 4
gigabytes of physical RAM.

Symbol: HIGHMEM4G [=y]
Prompt: 4GB
Defined at arch/x86/Kconfig:766
Depends on: <choice> && !X86_NUMAQ
Location:
-> Processor type and features
-> High Memory Support (<choice> [=y])

Regards,
Norberto

Old 07-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Donnerstag, 3. Juli 2008, Pawel K wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have 4 GB of ram and a Intel Core 2 Duo E4500.
> I compiled the kernel as follows:
> Processor family
> * Core 2/newer Xeon
>
> Subarchitecture Type
> * PC-compatible
>
> High Memory Support
> * Off
>
> All my remaining packages are compiled as 32 bit binaries.

you installed a 32bit kernel?

> The last switch causes my system to see less than 1 GB of memory:
> cat /proc/meminfo:
> MemTotal:****** 901816 kB
>
> AFAIK kernel does not need High Memory Support in case of 64 bit CPUs.
>
> What's wrong with my kernel config ?
> Maybe it does not run as a 64 bit CPU ?

it does. But it needs a 64bit kernel. And to have one you need a 64bit gcc and
binutils and glibc and ....

Old 07-03-2008, 11:56 PM
Norberto Bensa

Neil Bothwick wrote:

> That's the most likely case, because the HighMem option doesn't even
> appear on a 64 bit system.

He runs on 32

Old 07-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Florian Philipp

Pawel K <pawlaczus@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have 4 GB of ram and a Intel Core 2 Duo E4500.
> I compiled the kernel as follows:
> Processor family
> * Core 2/newer Xeon
>
> Subarchitecture Type
> * PC-compatible
>
> High Memory Support
> * Off
>
> All my remaining packages are compiled as 32 bit binaries.
>
> The last switch causes my system to see less than 1 GB of memory:
> cat /proc/meminfo:
> MemTotal:****** 901816 kB
>
> AFAIK kernel does not need High Memory Support in case of 64 bit CPUs.
>
> What's wrong with my kernel config ?
> Maybe it does not run as a 64 bit CPU ?
>
> thanks for an answer.

If you want to keep your 32bit userland, you'll run into a chicken-or-
the-egg-problem (because you can't run 64bit software without a 64bit
kernel).

To avoid this, you could get a precompiled 64bit kernel and
boot with that one. Then you can use an AMD64-stage3 from Gentoo to
compile your own kernel.

I think, that's the easiest solution but I haven't tested it.