Old 07-03-2008, 05:36 AM
Dirk Heinrichs

Default Curious emerge behaviour.

Am Donnerstag, 3. Juli 2008 schrieb ext James Homuth:
> I went to run emerge update, and it threw this curious little block
> loop at me. "emerge --pretend --quiet --update --deep world" produces:
> [blocks B ] sys-apps/mktemp (is blocking
> sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r2)
>
> [blocks B ] >=sys-apps/coreutils-6.10 (is blocking
> sys-apps/mktemp-1.5)
>
> Anyone else having this particular problem? Is it a compatibility
> issue with either coreutils or mktemp? I'm assuming removing the one
> will eliminate it, but if it's a needed package I'd rather not chance
> it. Any info on this one would be greatly appreciated.

If you just searched the archives...

New coreutils contains mktemp -> coreutils blocks mktemp -> emerge -C mktemp
&& emerge coreutils

HTH...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733

Old 07-03-2008, 05:37 AM
James Homuth

Will the package itself be removed at some point? And if so, I'm
assuming Portage will take care of killing it from my system at that point?

At 01:26 AM 03/07/2008, you wrote:

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 10:05 PM, James Homuth <james@the-jdh.com> wrote:
> I went to run emerge update, and it threw this curious little block loop at
> me. "emerge --pretend --quiet --update --deep world" produces:
> [blocks B ] sys-apps/mktemp (is blocking sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r2)
> [blocks B ] >=sys-apps/coreutils-6.10 (is blocking sys-apps/mktemp-1.5)
>
> Anyone else having this particular problem? Is it a compatibility
issue with
> either coreutils or mktemp? I'm assuming removing the one will
eliminate it,

> but if it's a needed package I'd rather not chance it. Any info on this one
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> James

Yes, I've had this problem and I am sure many others did too...mktemp
was a seperate package, but is now included in coreutils. All you have
to do is emerge -C mktemp and then update to the new version of
coreutils. I've done this on at least 3 comps, so it should work for
you with no problems for you.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:40 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 03 July 2008, James Homuth wrote:
> I went to run emerge update, and it threw this curious little block
> loop at me. "emerge --pretend --quiet --update --deep world"
> produces: [blocks B ] sys-apps/mktemp (is blocking
> sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r2)
>
> [blocks B ] >=sys-apps/coreutils-6.10 (is blocking
> sys-apps/mktemp-1.5)
>
> Anyone else having this particular problem? Is it a compatibility
> issue with either coreutils or mktemp? I'm assuming removing the one
> will eliminate it, but if it's a needed package I'd rather not chance
> it. Any info on this one would be greatly appreciated.

Pretty standrad blocker - been around for a while on ~arch.

coreutils now provides what used to be in mktemp, so

emerge -C mktemp ; emerge coreutils

will sort it

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 07-03-2008, 06:01 AM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Donnerstag, 3. Juli 2008 schrieb ext James Homuth:

> Will the package itself be removed at some point? And if so, I'm
> assuming Portage will take care of killing it from my system at that
> point?

No, why should it? You have to tell it to do so.

Bye...

Dirk

Old 07-03-2008, 09:17 AM
"Daniel Pielmeier"

2008/7/3, James Homuth <james@the-jdh.com>:
> Will the package itself be removed at some point? And if so, I'm assuming
> Portage will take care of killing it from my system at that point?

Newer versions of portage, will take care of those standard blockers themself.

http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/zmedico/2008/04/22/portage_dependency_resolution_decision_m
http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/zmedico/2008/05/06/blocker_conflict_automatic_uninstall
http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/zmedico/2008/05/09/blocking_package_file_collisions
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/portage/main/trunk/RELEASE-NOTES
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/portage/main/trunk/NEWS

Old 07-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Mike Williams

On Thursday 03 July 2008 06:40:17 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Anyone else having this particular problem? Is it a compatibility
> > issue with either coreutils or mktemp? I'm assuming removing the one
> > will eliminate it, but if it's a needed package I'd rather not chance
> > it. Any info on this one would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Pretty standrad blocker - been around for a while on ~arch.
>
> coreutils now provides what used to be in mktemp, so
>
> emerge -C mktemp ; emerge coreutils
>
> will sort it

However that will leave you without the mktemp binary while coreutils gets
built. Unlikely to be a problem, unless a reboot happens in the middle, and
still probably quite recoverable.

I've taken to making sure the collision-protect FEATURE is not set (which it
isn't by default I believe), then removing the mktemp portage DB entry.
# mv /var/db/pkg/sys-apps/mktemp-1.5/ ~
With mktemp apparently not installed, no blocker exists, and you've still got
the binary. Portage will complain when it comes to install the new coreutils,
but just ignore it's complaint.

--
Mike Williams