Old 12-04-2007, 01:59 AM
"Hemmann, Volker Armin"

Default radeonfb and fglrx don't mix - why?

On Dienstag, 4. Dezember 2007, Andrey Vul wrote:
> I finally got X to work with fglrx and RTFMing said that radeonfb was
> crashing my X. My question is why did radeonfb mess up X and fglrx?
>
> If this is strictly kernel-related, I'll send this email to lkml.

because two different drivers driving the same hardware never mixes.

Is that hard to understand?

radeonfb f*s around with the hardware behind the X drivers back and the X
driver f*s around behind radeonfb's back. Both don't know what the other one
does. Result: crash.

That is not a kernel problem. This is a 'two drivers access the same hardware'
problem.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:04 AM
"Mark Shields"