Old 06-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Roger Mason

Default portage update bloacked

Hi,

I'm building a system using a 2006.0 minimal install disk and
following the (current) installation docs. I got to the part where it
is suggested I upgrade portage. However, there is a blocker:

(chroot) livecd / # emerge -p --oneshot portage

Calculating dependencies... done!

[ebuild U ] sys-apps/sandbox-1.2.18.1-r2 [1.2.17]
[ebuild U ] dev-python/pycrypto-2.0.1-r6 [2.0.1-r5]
[ebuild U ] sys-apps/portage-2.1.4.4 [2.1.2.2]
*** Portage will stop merging at this point and reload itself,
then resume the merge.
[ebuild U ] app-shells/bash-3.2_p33 [3.1_p17] USE="-plugins%"
[blocks B ] <sys-apps/portage-2.1.4_rc1 (is blocking app-shells/bash-3.2_p33)
(chroot) livecd / # emerge -pC portage

>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:

!!! 'sys-apps/portage' is part of your system profile.
!!! Unmerging it may be damaging to your system.

sys-apps/portage
selected: 2.1.2.2
protected: none
omitted: none

>>> 'Selected' packages are slated for removal.
>>> 'Protected' and 'omitted' packages will not be removed.

I looked on the bugzilla but this "bug" is maked invalid. Could
someone please suggest a next step?

Thanks,
Roger

Old 06-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Kenneth Prugh

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:14:02 -0230
Roger Mason <rmason@esd.mun.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
> <snip>
> I looked on the bugzilla but this "bug" is maked invalid. Could
> someone please suggest a next step?
>
> Thanks,
> Roger

emerge -O bash

--
Ken69267

Old 06-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Alex Schuster

Roger Mason writes:

> I'm building a system using a 2006.0 minimal install disk and
> following the (current) installation docs. I got to the part where it
> is suggested I upgrade portage. However, there is a blocker:
>
> (chroot) livecd / # emerge -p --oneshot portage

> Calculating dependencies... done!
>
> [ebuild U ] sys-apps/sandbox-1.2.18.1-r2 [1.2.17]
> [ebuild U ] dev-python/pycrypto-2.0.1-r6 [2.0.1-r5]
> [ebuild U ] sys-apps/portage-2.1.4.4 [2.1.2.2]
> *** Portage will stop merging at this point and reload itself,
> then resume the merge.
> [ebuild U ] app-shells/bash-3.2_p33 [3.1_p17] USE="-plugins%"
> [blocks B ] <sys-apps/portage-2.1.4_rc1 (is blocking
> app-shells/bash-3.2_p33) (chroot) livecd / # emerge -pC portage

Waaaah! Better not.

> !!! 'sys-apps/portage' is part of your system profile.
> !!! Unmerging it may be damaging to your system.

Right, you would be without portage, and "emerge portage" would not work.

I'm not entirely sure what's going on, seems like the new portage needs a
new bash, but your old portage will not work with this shell before
upgrading, and the new bash will not work with the old portage. So you need
to directly emerge a bash in-between.

So, first try this: emerge -1a =app-shells/bash-3.2_p17-r1
You should be able to upgrade portage then fine: emerge -1a portage
Then upgrade bash: emerge -ua bash (or emerge -ua world if you like)

Wonko

Old 06-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 30 June 2008, Roger Mason wrote:
> Kenneth Prugh <ken69267@gmail.com> writes:
> > emerge -O bash
>
> and
>
> Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> said:
> > So, first try this: emerge -1a =app-shells/bash-3.2_p17-r1
>
> Well, in the end I decided to play very straight and use a more
> up-to-date install CD. I'm currently installing from 2008.0_beta2,
> so far without any problems.

For the record, this turns out to be a fairly straightforward blocker. A
recent version of portage uses new features in a recent bash, and
Alex's suggestion will work just fine. I recently had to update 10+ old
machines around this entirely trouble free.

But using a more recent CD is probably the better idea, it's entirely
possible to manoeuvre through two years of updates, but it's kinda
pointless if you have a better base system at hand :-)

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 06-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Roger Mason

Kenneth Prugh <ken69267@gmail.com> writes:

> emerge -O bash

and

Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> said:

> So, first try this: emerge -1a =app-shells/bash-3.2_p17-r1

Well, in the end I decided to play very straight and use a more
up-to-date install CD. I'm currently installing from 2008.0_beta2, so
far without any problems.

Thanks for you help.

Roger

Old 07-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Roger Mason

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:

>> Well, in the end I decided to play very straight and use a more
>> up-to-date install CD. I'm currently installing from 2008.0_beta2,
>> so far without any problems.
>
> For the record, this turns out to be a fairly straightforward blocker. A
> recent version of portage uses new features in a recent bash, and
> Alex's suggestion will work just fine. I recently had to update 10+ old
> machines around this entirely trouble free.
>
> But using a more recent CD is probably the better idea, it's entirely
> possible to manoeuvre through two years of updates, but it's kinda
> pointless if you have a better base system at hand :-)

For the record, the installation was painless and fast with
2008.0_beta2. My only reason for using an old install initially CD was to
retain compatibility with the older gcc versions on my distcc compile
farm. As it turned out, that was not a problem at all.

Thanks to all.

Roger