Old 06-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Michael Pobega

Default Microphone help

Hello gentoo-user.

I bought a Creative NX Pro 2 webcam a few years back, and got it working
with no problems in Gentoo using the gspcav1 drivers from Portage. Now,
when I plug in the microphone (Which isn't a USB, but a regular
microphone) nothing happens. I can't hear it through my speakers no
matter how high I make the sound and I'm not sure if there are any
drivers I need to load before it will work.

Running `cat /proc/asound/cards` doesn't do much...It _should_ show my
device, but in actuality shows:

> ackbar linux # cat /proc/asound/cards
> 0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
> HDA Intel at 0xfeb38000 irq 16

So at the moment I'm pretty sure my microphone isn't being detected at
all. Perhaps there is a kernel driver I missed (looked through two
times) or something I need to emerge?

If this driver is unusable in Gentoo, can someone recommend me a
(relatively cheap) replacement? Because I'd like to be able to use it as
soon as possible. Thank you.

--
If programmers deserve to be rewarded for creating innovative
programs, by the same token they deserve to be punished if they

Old 06-30-2008, 11:30 AM
Robert Bridge

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 06:24:44 -0400
Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:
> I bought a Creative NX Pro 2 webcam a few years back, and got it
> working with no problems in Gentoo using the gspcav1 drivers from
> Portage. Now, when I plug in the microphone (Which isn't a USB, but a
> regular microphone) nothing happens. I can't hear it through my
> speakers no matter how high I make the sound and I'm not sure if
> there are any drivers I need to load before it will work.
>
> Running `cat /proc/asound/cards` doesn't do much...It _should_ show my
> device, but in actuality shows:
>
> > ackbar linux # cat /proc/asound/cards
> > 0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
> > HDA Intel at 0xfeb38000 irq 16
>
> So at the moment I'm pretty sure my microphone isn't being detected at
> all. Perhaps there is a kernel driver I missed (looked through two
> times) or something I need to emerge?
>
> If this driver is unusable in Gentoo, can someone recommend me a
> (relatively cheap) replacement? Because I'd like to be able to use it
> as soon as possible. Thank you.

Have you checked that the microphone is unmuted? Does your card have
multiple options for the microphone port (line-in as well as mic)?
Have you adjusted the microphone volume?

These are all issues I have had with the microphone on my webcam. The
drivers which matter are the soundcard drivers if you are plugging the
microphone into it, so I am 99.99% sure it will work with the current
setup, once you find the correct combination of settings for the
sound card.

Good luck with it,
Rob.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Michael Pobega

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 12:30:38PM +0100, Robert Bridge wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 06:24:44 -0400
> Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I bought a Creative NX Pro 2 webcam a few years back, and got it
> > working with no problems in Gentoo using the gspcav1 drivers from
> > Portage. Now, when I plug in the microphone (Which isn't a USB, but a
> > regular microphone) nothing happens. I can't hear it through my
> > speakers no matter how high I make the sound and I'm not sure if
> > there are any drivers I need to load before it will work.
> >
> > Running `cat /proc/asound/cards` doesn't do much...It _should_ show my
> > device, but in actuality shows:
> >
> > > ackbar linux # cat /proc/asound/cards
> > > 0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
> > > HDA Intel at 0xfeb38000 irq 16
> >
> > So at the moment I'm pretty sure my microphone isn't being detected at
> > all. Perhaps there is a kernel driver I missed (looked through two
> > times) or something I need to emerge?
> >
> > If this driver is unusable in Gentoo, can someone recommend me a
> > (relatively cheap) replacement? Because I'd like to be able to use it
> > as soon as possible. Thank you.
>
> Have you checked that the microphone is unmuted? Does your card have
> multiple options for the microphone port (line-in as well as mic)?
> Have you adjusted the microphone volume?
>
> These are all issues I have had with the microphone on my webcam. The
> drivers which matter are the soundcard drivers if you are plugging the
> microphone into it, so I am 99.99% sure it will work with the current
> setup, once you find the correct combination of settings for the
> sound card.
>
> Good luck with it,
> Rob.

No matter what I do the Mic doesn't seem to make any sound through my
laptop's speakers...Any other ideas on what might be causing this
problem?

Old 06-30-2008, 11:50 PM
sean

Michael Pobega wrote:

No matter what I do the Mic doesn't seem to make any sound through my
laptop's speakers...Any other ideas on what might be causing this
problem?

For KDE I had to specify in KMix which device to capture sound.
Perhaps you need to check such an option in your desktop of choice.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:10 AM
Michael Pobega

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 07:50:42PM -0400, sean wrote:
> Michael Pobega wrote:
>> No matter what I do the Mic doesn't seem to make any sound through my
>> laptop's speakers...Any other ideas on what might be causing this
>> problem?
>
> For KDE I had to specify in KMix which device to capture sound.
> Perhaps you need to check such an option in your desktop of choice.

I use wmii and I really don't want to have to merge qt just to test out
my sound device...Any other suggestions?

Old 07-01-2008, 01:49 AM
sean

Michael Pobega wrote:

I use wmii and I really don't want to have to merge qt just to test out
my sound device...Any other suggestions?

alsamixer is the only other thing that comes to mind.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:10 AM
Michael Pobega

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 09:49:58PM -0400, sean wrote:
> Michael Pobega wrote:
>
>> I use wmii and I really don't want to have to merge qt just to test out
>> my sound device...Any other suggestions?
>
> alsamixer is the only other thing that comes to mind.

Well I have everything turned to max and still no microphone sound. Or
should I turn some things down in alsamixer?

Old 07-01-2008, 02:23 AM
Daniel Iliev

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 22:10:44 -0400
Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 09:49:58PM -0400, sean wrote:
> > Michael Pobega wrote:
> >
> >> I use wmii and I really don't want to have to merge qt just to
> >> test out my sound device...Any other suggestions?
> >
> > alsamixer is the only other thing that comes to mind.
>
> Well I have everything turned to max and still no microphone sound. Or
> should I turn some things down in alsamixer?

Any chance you have forgotten some muted channels?

("m" is the key for "mute on/off toggle" in alsamixer)

--
Best regards,
Daniel

Old 07-01-2008, 03:45 AM
Michael Pobega

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 05:23:20AM +0300, Daniel Iliev wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 22:10:44 -0400
> Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > alsamixer is the only other thing that comes to mind.
> >
> > Well I have everything turned to max and still no microphone sound. Or
> > should I turn some things down in alsamixer?
> >

> Any chance you have forgotten some muted channels?
>
> ("m" is the key for "mute on/off toggle" in alsamixer)

Jeez, how could I not notice something so obvious.

Thanks.

Now to find a good VoIP client...Can anyone help me out with that?
Looking for something cross-platform (Windows/Linux) that can do
webcam/audio support. I tried WengoPhone but the registration site seems
to be down...