Old 06-29-2008, 06:39 PM
"b.n."

Default unstable glib pulled down, but why?

Hi,

It is probably a dumb blunder of mine, but it seems that there is
something weird with glib on my world file.

emerge -pv world fails with:

---

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=dev-libs/glib-2.16" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
request:

- dev-libs/glib-2.16.3 (masked by: package.mask)
/usr/portage/local/layman/desktop-effects/profiles/package.mask:
#
# <jmbsviceto@gentoo.org> (9 February 2008)
# glib-2.15 breaks some packages

- dev-libs/glib-2.16.2 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
- dev-libs/glib-2.16.1 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or
refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
(dependency required by "dev-cpp/glibmm-2.16.1" [ebuild])

---

Now, I have a bunch of unmasked stuff in package.keywords, but I've
*not* unmasked glibmm ~x86 or other glib related stuff. So why is a x86
glibmm pulling down ~x86 stuff/why is an unstable glibmm being pulled
down? By what?

By the way: I find the fact "emerge -pv" just fails in those cases
extremly annoying. Shoudn't it report the error, skip offending packages
but let me see what can be happily merged independently of that?

m.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 20:39:21 +0200, b.n. wrote:

> emerge -pv world fails with:
>
> ---
>
> !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=dev-libs/glib-2.16" have been
> masked. !!! One of the following masked packages is required to
> complete your request:
> - dev-libs/glib-2.16.3 (masked by: package.mask)
> /usr/portage/local/layman/desktop-effects/profiles/package.mask:
> #
> # <jmbsviceto@gentoo.org> (9 February 2008)
> # glib-2.15 breaks some packages
>
> - dev-libs/glib-2.16.2 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
> - dev-libs/glib-2.16.1 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
>
> For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
> page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
> (dependency required by "dev-cpp/glibmm-2.16.1" [ebuild])

Sync again, glib-2.16.3 is not masked in the profile here.

--
Neil Bothwick

And God said, "I'll buy a vowel."

Old 06-29-2008, 08:45 PM
"b.n."

Neil Bothwick ha scritto:

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=dev-libs/glib-2.16" have been
masked. !!! One of the following masked packages is required to
complete your request:
- dev-libs/glib-2.16.3 (masked by: package.mask)
/usr/portage/local/layman/desktop-effects/profiles/package.mask:
#
# <jmbsviceto@gentoo.org> (9 February 2008)
# glib-2.15 breaks some packages

- dev-libs/glib-2.16.2 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
- dev-libs/glib-2.16.1 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
(dependency required by "dev-cpp/glibmm-2.16.1" [ebuild])

Sync again, glib-2.16.3 is not masked in the profile here.

Synced and nothing changed.

Where should I look for? I have no package.mask in /etc/portage.

m.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Daniel Iliev

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 22:45:20 +0200
"b.n." <brullonulla@gmail.com> wrote:

> Neil Bothwick ha scritto:
> >> !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=dev-libs/glib-2.16" have been
> >> masked. !!! One of the following masked packages is required to
> >> complete your request:
> >> - dev-libs/glib-2.16.3 (masked by: package.mask)
> >> /usr/portage/local/layman/desktop-effects/profiles/package.mask:
> >> #
> >> # <jmbsviceto@gentoo.org> (9 February 2008)
> >> # glib-2.15 breaks some packages
> >>
> >> - dev-libs/glib-2.16.2 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
> >> - dev-libs/glib-2.16.1 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
> >>
> >> For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
> >> page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
> >> (dependency required by "dev-cpp/glibmm-2.16.1" [ebuild])
> >
> > Sync again, glib-2.16.3 is not masked in the profile here.
> >

> Synced and nothing changed.
>
> Where should I look for? I have no package.mask in /etc/portage.
>
> m.

Hi,

Perhaps you should try another mirror.
Here is what I get on a stable x86 system:

emerge -pv dev-libs/glib
[ R ] dev-libs/glib-2.16.3 USE="fam -debug -doc -hardened (-selinux)
-xattr"

--
Best regards,
Daniel

Old 06-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 22:45:20 +0200, b.n. wrote:

> >> - dev-libs/glib-2.16.3 (masked by: package.mask)
> >> /usr/portage/local/layman/desktop-effects/profiles/package.mask:
> >> #
> >> # <jmbsviceto@gentoo.org> (9 February 2008)
> >> # glib-2.15 breaks some packages
> >>
> >> - dev-libs/glib-2.16.2 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
> >> - dev-libs/glib-2.16.1 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
> >>
> >> For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
> >> page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
> >> (dependency required by "dev-cpp/glibmm-2.16.1" [ebuild])
> >
> > Sync again, glib-2.16.3 is not masked in the profile here.
> >

> Synced and nothing changed.
>
> Where should I look for? I have no package.mask in /etc/portage.

I've just read the message more carefully and seen the problem, I only
noticed the profiles/package.mask part, meaning it is masked in your
profile, not /etc/portage, and didn't look carefully at the full path.

This is masked in a profile from the desktop-effects overlay. It's
nothing to do with the official portage tree, but a third-party overlay
breaking things for you.

--
Neil Bothwick

Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Old 06-29-2008, 10:04 PM
"b.n."

Neil Bothwick ha scritto:

[...]

*slaps head with palm*
Thanks! How silly was I not reading that.

Now, what should I do? Ask to the desktop-effects guys? And *why* does
an overlay mask things from the *main* portage tree? Is this normal?

I'm confused.

m.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 00:04:20 +0200, b.n. wrote:

> > This is masked in a profile from the desktop-effects overlay. It's
> > nothing to do with the official portage tree, but a third-party
> > overlay breaking things for you.

> Now, what should I do? Ask to the desktop-effects guys?

Seems a reasonable question.

> And *why* does
> an overlay mask things from the *main* portage tree? Is this normal?

Because masking is global, the sum of all the package.mask files is
applied to the system as a whole.

--
Neil Bothwick

Few women admit their age. Few men act theirs.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:56 PM
"b.n."

Neil Bothwick ha scritto:
And *why* does
an overlay mask things from the *main* portage tree? Is this normal?

Because masking is global, the sum of all the package.mask files is
applied to the system as a whole.

Yes, I know.
What I wondered, is if this is normal policy. It seems that an overlay
messing with main portage tree is just asking for trouble.

But again, I'll ask to the overlay guys.

Thanks a lot as usual,

m.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 29 June 2008, b.n. wrote:
> By the way: I find the fact "emerge -pv" just fails in those cases
> extremly annoying. Shoudn't it report the error, skip offending
> packages but let me see what can be happily merged independently of
> that?

Seems a reasonable question, but will be almost impossible to implement,
as how would you define a package that can "be happily merged
independently" of a blocking package?

portage is software, it isn't intelligent so it doesn't know how to
answer that. I admit it's annoying though.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 06-30-2008, 05:06 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 30 June 2008, brullo nulla wrote:
> > Seems a reasonable question, but will be almost impossible to
> > implement, as how would you define a package that can "be happily
> > merged independently" of a blocking package?
> >
> > portage is software, it isn't intelligent so it doesn't know how to
> > answer that. I admit it's annoying though.
>
> The block will in many cases affect only a branch of the dependency
> tree. For example, in this case it is all blocked because glibmm
> wants a masked glib. Portage knows that glibmm wants the masked glib,
> so it knows that glibmm causes the trouble. So it could in principle
> give me what is to update except for glibmm and glib - and give me
> the error about those two.
>
> Am I missing something?

Probably not :-)

But the portage code has been described as difficult to maintain, so I
suppose the correct person to ask is Zac himself. Perhaps there are
tricky edge cases?