Old 06-28-2008, 08:35 PM
PaulNM

Default Why is /tmp/jack busy?

Mark Knecht wrote:

Hi Paul,
Yes, ls -al shown nothing is there.

Actually, I think the root cause of this is a little different than
I expected. /tmp/jack is actually something that's mounted:

lightning ~ # df
<SNIP>
none 508016 0 508016 0% /tmp/jack

and the root cause of that is that it's in my fstab file:

lightning ~ # cat /etc/fstab | grep jack
none /tmp/jack tmpfs defaults 0 0
lightning ~ #

So, there are three directions to go:

1) Remove it from fstab and figure out what the repercussions of that
action might be.

Well, it's a tmpfs, so it gets wiped on shutdown anyway. Anything that
needs the /tmp/jack directory will write to there whether a tmpfs is
mounted or not, so removing the fstab line wont have any consequences by
itself. If /tmp/jack gets removed by a boot script, and is actually
needed, the directory will most likely be recreated by whatever program
needs it. If not, you can always "mkdir /tmp/jack" long enough to fix
the program in question.

2) Understand why the Gentoo boot process want to wipe mounted
directories in /tmp since it won't work.

I suspect the gentoo script is something simple like "if WIPE_TMP=YES,
then rm /tmp/*".

FHS recommends nothing in /tmp survive boot.
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-3.15.html
It's bad practice to have a persistent mount point inside of /tmp or
/var/tmp.
If your /tmp is a tmpfs of some kind, then the above fstab entry is
redundant anyway.

The main (possible) problem is some program requires a directory/file to
exist in /tmp, but doesn't create that directory/file itself. Thats
just a plain stupid (programming) practice, so I doubt you'll run into
any issues with removing the fstab entry, and so on.

I'm going to investigate #1 first as this is something that I think
is left over from years ago, but maybe you or someone else has another
idea.

Thanks,
Mark

PaulNM

Old 06-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 12:36:40 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> 2) Understand why the Gentoo boot process want to wipe mounted
> directories in /tmp since it won't work.

Do you have wipe_tmp="yes" in conf.d/bootmisc? That tells baselayout to
remove everything frmo /tmp instead of only known files.

--
Neil Bothwick

Brain fried -- core dumped.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:31 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 12:36:40 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> 2) Understand why the Gentoo boot process want to wipe mounted
>> directories in /tmp since it won't work.
>
> Do you have wipe_tmp="yes" in conf.d/bootmisc? That tells baselayout to
> remove everything frmo /tmp instead of only known files.
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick
>
> Brain fried -- core dumped.

Thanks Neil. I've changed this option to "no".

What I'm currently running into is that after removing the /tmp/jack
setting in fstab jack itself doesn't run and for some reason flags on
almost all packages are looking messed up. Lots of flags showing up in
red that never did, almost every package showing up as
(~package_number) in eix. Something's gone a bit haywire it seems.

Maybe I'm seeing a bit of what Grant was asking about yesterday? :-)

I'm making sure that portage and eix are not testing versions and will
try again in a few minutes...

Cheers,
Mark