Old 06-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Default Anyone else's Gentoo unruly lately?

On Freitag, 27. Juni 2008, Grant wrote:
> Lately it seems like a new problem pops up every day and every time I
> try to do something new it doesn't work. Anybody else experiencing
> that lately?
>
> - Grant

a botched gcc-upgrade/clean cycle damaged gcc beyond repair - but that was
easily solved by a 'unpack stage3, chroot into that, sync, emerge --buildpkg
gcc, cp, emerge --usepkg' cycle. The following harddisk crash was much harder
to work around

Apart from that: no.

My gentoo works fine and good and without probs.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:58 PM
"Brian Johnson"

Grant,

I've had a lot of problems lately upgrading ~arch and masked packages. This is expected (obviously) but 99% of the time I am able to fix them myself without going through support resources.

If you're using any that are ~arch and in packages.mask perhaps that is why you're having problems too!

- Brian

Old 06-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Grant

> Grant,
>
> I've had a lot of problems lately upgrading ~arch and masked packages. This
> is expected (obviously) but 99% of the time I am able to fix them myself
> without going through support resources.
>
> If you're using any that are ~arch and in packages.mask perhaps that is why
> you're having problems too!
>
> - Brian

I think you're right Brian. Of course, this is nobody's fault but
mine for using ~amd64 packages, but I only pull those in if I feel I
"have to". Quite a few of them now though. Does it seem like ~arch
packages have been more difficult lately?

- Grant

Old 06-27-2008, 09:23 PM
"b.n."

Grant ha scritto:

Lately it seems like a new problem pops up every day and every time I
try to do something new it doesn't work. Anybody else experiencing
that lately?

- Grant

Yes. Looks like my Gentoo box is rotting these days, but most probably
it's me not having time at all to iron out even the smallest things.

I have however a couple of *persistent* quirks I don't know how to fix.
One is Kopete refusing at all to delete MSN contacts. The other is
Flash+CompizFusion interacting badly. But I can live with that.

m.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 14:09:16 -0700, Grant wrote:

> I think you're right Brian. Of course, this is nobody's fault but
> mine for using ~amd64 packages, but I only pull those in if I feel I
> "have to". Quite a few of them now though. Does it seem like ~arch
> packages have been more difficult lately?

I think it could be the pick-and-mix approach to keywording, I use pure
~amd64 on my desktop and laptop and the only problems I've had recently
turned out to be a corrupt root filesystem.

--
Neil Bothwick

Top Oxymorons Number 24: New classic

Old 06-27-2008, 09:34 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 22:01:10 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > Lately it seems like a new problem pops up every day and every time I
> > try to do something new it doesn't work. Anybody else experiencing
> > that lately?
>
> No.

How can you be so certain that not one of the thousands of Gentoo users
is having such problems ;-)

--
Neil Bothwick

Not tonight dear, I have a Modem!!!

Old 06-27-2008, 09:43 PM
"Daniel da Veiga"

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 4:41 PM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lately it seems like a new problem pops up every day and every time I
> try to do something new it doesn't work. Anybody else experiencing
> that lately?

After almost 8 months withtou an upgrade, I finally decided to go on
with it, and to my surprise the only problem was a library that got
borked. After a little research, it was solved and the rest was
automagically done by portage.

--
Daniel da Veiga

Old 06-27-2008, 09:45 PM
Joshua D Doll

b.n. wrote:

Grant ha scritto:

Lately it seems like a new problem pops up every day and every time I
try to do something new it doesn't work. Anybody else experiencing
that lately?

- Grant

Yes. Looks like my Gentoo box is rotting these days, but most probably
it's me not having time at all to iron out even the smallest things.

I have however a couple of *persistent* quirks I don't know how to
fix. One is Kopete refusing at all to delete MSN contacts. The other
is Flash+CompizFusion interacting badly. But I can live with that.

m.
I think I remembered seeing something on the compizfusion ml about
issues with flash.

--Joshua Doll

Old 06-27-2008, 10:05 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Freitag, 27. Juni 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 14:09:16 -0700, Grant wrote:
> > I think you're right Brian. Of course, this is nobody's fault but
> > mine for using ~amd64 packages, but I only pull those in if I feel I
> > "have to". Quite a few of them now though. Does it seem like ~arch
> > packages have been more difficult lately?
>
> I think it could be the pick-and-mix approach to keywording, I use pure
> ~amd64 on my desktop and laptop and the only problems I've had recently
> turned out to be a corrupt root filesystem.

yeah, mixing isn't good. Pure systems are way more stable.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Chris Walters