Old 06-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Allan Gottlieb

Default recommendation for a wireless G Broadband Router

I have a linksys (Cisco) WRT54G, which works fine except for one
point.

I have been unable to find in the documentation how to tell its dhcp
server that mac address X should get IP addr Y. I am prepared to
accept the deserved shame if someone tells me how to do this.

Failing the above, I am seriously considering buying another router
that has this capability. It is frustrating not to know the IP
address for machines on our home network (especially the NFS server).

I would appreciate any recommendations.
The device should have wired ethernet input (from our cable modem) and
4 wired ethernet outputs, plus wireless support, and a dhcp server.

thanks,
allan

Old 06-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Aaron Clark

Allan Gottlieb wrote:

I have a linksys (Cisco) WRT54G, which works fine except for one
point.

I have been unable to find in the documentation how to tell its dhcp
server that mac address X should get IP addr Y. I am prepared to
accept the deserved shame if someone tells me how to do this.

Failing the above, I am seriously considering buying another router
that has this capability. It is frustrating not to know the IP
address for machines on our home network (especially the NFS server).

I would appreciate any recommendations.
The device should have wired ethernet input (from our cable modem) and
4 wired ethernet outputs, plus wireless support, and a dhcp server.

Go install DD-WRT (http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/index.php) on it
instead of the less featureful Linksys firmware. Be sure to follow the
docs the more recent revs of the wrt54g line have less ram and thus are
harder to switch over to the open source firmwares.

Aaron

Old 06-27-2008, 06:26 PM
"Gordon Schulz"

Another option is the excellent Tomato Firmware
(http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato), which does exactly what you need
out of the box.

Greetings,

gordon.

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 7:34 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
> I have a linksys (Cisco) WRT54G, which works fine except for one
> point.
>
> I have been unable to find in the documentation how to tell its dhcp
> server that mac address X should get IP addr Y. I am prepared to
> accept the deserved shame if someone tells me how to do this.
>
> Failing the above, I am seriously considering buying another router
> that has this capability. It is frustrating not to know the IP
> address for machines on our home network (especially the NFS server).
>
> I would appreciate any recommendations.
> The device should have wired ethernet input (from our cable modem) and
> 4 wired ethernet outputs, plus wireless support, and a dhcp server.
>
> thanks,
> allan

Greetings,
Gordon.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:01 PM
"Daniel da Veiga"

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Gordon Schulz <gordon.schulz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Another option is the excellent Tomato Firmware
> (http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato), which does exactly what you need
> out of the box.

Another vote for Tomato, as its the best firmware I've used so far.
But, if you have a version 5 or latter, then you're stuck with dd-wrt
micro edition.

I use a WRT54GL ("L" model is, IMHO, the best).

--
Daniel da Veiga

Old 06-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Allan Gottlieb

At Fri, 27 Jun 2008 16:01:17 -0300 Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Gordon Schulz <gordon.schulz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Another option is the excellent Tomato Firmware
>> (http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato), which does exactly what you need
>> out of the box.
>>

> Another vote for Tomato, as its the best firmware I've used so far.
> But, if you have a version 5 or latter, then you're stuck with dd-wrt
> micro edition.

Mine says ver 2 on the device and the web page says the firmware
version is v2.02.7. So I will look into tomato

> I use a WRT54GL ("L" model is, IMHO, the best).

My wife has a newer linksys. Maybe hers is an L. She does use IPC so
wouldn't notice the IP addresses changing.

Thank you everyone for the advice.

allan