Old 06-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Dave Oxley

Default Replacing my router

I have 2 Internet connections, 1 fast ADSL and 1 slow wireless as a
backup. My router doesn't do automatic failover or even have support for
multiple WAN connections so I thought I'd set up PPP connections on my
Gentoo server that do PPPoE to the 2 modems which I connected directly
to my switch. This worked well but I soon realised that my server was
offering up DHCP IP addresses to machines on the otherside of my
wireless connection!

So what I want to do is setup my switch as a router. I'm a bit of a
newbie on advanced networking but I think that a router is basically
just a switch with a VLAN for the local network and VLAN for the WAN. Is
this assumption correct? If so I will setup 2 VLAN's on my switch (a
Linksys SGE2000).

Also how can I setup the NIC on my server to be connected to both VLAN's
and only do DHCP for the local VLAN? Should I be able to or need to
prevent one VLAN from seeing the second VLAN? What is STR and do I need
to set this up? Any other suggestions?

Cheers,
Dave.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Daniel Iliev

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 01:16:37 +1000
Dave Oxley <dave@daveoxley.co.uk> wrote:

> So what I want to do is setup my switch as a router.

No can do.

> I'm a bit of a newbie on advanced networking but I think that a
> router is basically just a switch with a VLAN for the local network
> and VLAN for the WAN. Is this assumption correct?

No, it is not. Those are two different pieces of equipment which work on
different levels of the OSI model. For further assistance, please,
describe clearly what kind of equipment is at your disposal and what
(not how) you are trying to achieve.

--
Best regards,
Daniel

Old 06-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Dave Oxley

Daniel Iliev wrote:

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 01:16:37 +1000
So what I want to do is setup my switch as a router.

No can do.

My switch is a SGE2000P which is also a layer 3 router.

I'm a bit of a newbie on advanced networking but I think that a
router is basically just a switch with a VLAN for the local network
and VLAN for the WAN. Is this assumption correct?

No, it is not. Those are two different pieces of equipment which work on
different levels of the OSI model. For further assistance, please,
describe clearly what kind of equipment is at your disposal and what
(not how) you are trying to achieve.

The point of the exercise is to remove my 2 consumer grade routers from
my network as neither were very good and I wanted to improve the
security of my network. I actually got it sorted today but thanks for
answering. In case anyones interested I've now got 3 VLAN's. 1 each for
each of the Internet connections and 1 for the rest of the LAN. The
Gentoo server is on all 3 and runs PPP with PPPoE to each of the
'modems'. As a note it's interesting that PPPoE to 2 different devices
conflict with each other but putting them on different VLAN's works
brilliantly. When a PPP connection fails the ip-down script switches the
default route to the ppp1 device and ip-up switches it back to ppp0;
very smooth! I'm not using the L3 functionality of the switch as I was
originally intending as the server does the routing.

Cheers,

Dave